Thread: 68 302 4V - Numbers matching

GUGS102
    I've got the above motor in my 64 falcon. Runs like a top. My thought was, can someone else use this numbers matching motor in their resotation and then I can go build something that'll really run?
    Where should I go to determine what the value of the motor is and where to post for possible sale. What's it worth?
    I've got pan to carb. Currently the motor is .030 over with forged TRW slugs, good rod bolts, stock crank and rods. I'm running aluminum gt 40 heads and a small roller cam, but could still run the hyd flat tappet. I have the 4V heads rebuilt and in bags ready to go. I ran a small flat tappet before I put in the roller set up.
    Any help is appreciated. Maybe I should just put a bottle on it and go have some fun.
    Thanks,
    Gugs

Hey Tony...
    put the 347 stroker kit in it & a Vortec Supercharger & go rip 'em up!...my friend has a '65 Mustang set up like that...runs 9.0's...147mph...completely street legal...runs it at PIR all the time...or u could put the Ford 427ci in it, like the Thunderbolts had!!
    Ron (fastrat)

Numbers matching? On a Ford? What numbers match? Ford never put "numbers" on parts excecpt casting numbers and those don't really matter as they are just that, casting numbers. For Instance: a C6AE-6090-A is a head casting for a 66 std. 352-390-410-428 with air injection but the "part" number is a C6XX-6049-XX and thats what you'll find in the parts books. Ford did this to I.D. a casting but the same casting might have a different part number as the machining difference will dictate a different part number but use the same casting....yeah, I know..clear as mud. In a nutshell Ford did not use numbers that matched the chassis VIN number like Chevy did.

Moneypitt
    Numbers matching? On a Ford? What numbers match? Ford never put "numbers" on parts excecpt casting numbers and those don't really matter as they are just that, casting numbers. For Instance: a C6AE-6090-A is a head casting for a 66 std. 352-390-410-428 with air injection but the "part" number is a C6XX-6049-XX and thats what you'll find in the parts books. Ford did this to I.D. a casting but the same casting might have a different part number as the machining difference will dictate a different part number but use the same casting....yeah, I know..clear as mud. In a nutshell Ford did not use numbers that matched the chassis VIN number like Chevy did.
    Yeah, what he said..........Even if they did, you would have to find the matching VIN to have a match with anything. I would guess and say it is worth the same as any other 302 that is all there.........MP

Actually, it's a little different(if it's a real 4V engine). Anyone running a Stock Eliminator car(and possibly SS) would need the Heads to be legal. They are a little special and are easily identifiable to those who would be interested. Other than that, the guys are right. No 'matching numbers' on Ford's, and thus, no early retirement. Buy a Pro Fogger for the engine, and sell the Heads in bags by themselves. RR
    I'm just a pawn in the game of life...........

GUGS102
    See what insight we have on here. I was thinking of different ideas for the car. I've owned it since 94 and thought it might be time to really have some fun. I'm running in with a stock converter and a 3.00 posi rear end.
    Maybe I should throw a 2500 stall and I've have a complete 3rd member with 3.80s in it, that ought to wake it up a little, then add the blue bottle.