Thread: Check Out This Story...

DirtySquirty
    I don't spend much time inputting around these sites, but this story needs to be told. The wife and I along with our adult son and his squeeze, were recently enjoying the great weather at The River ( October 23-26 ). We were staying at Harrah's, and after spending the day out of Katherine Landing and cleaning up, we set off for a water taxi ride from Harrah's to The Belle to meet with some fellow boaters for some fun (8pm)...This is where things get strange. After clearing the "buoy line", the Water Taxi Operator started to throttle up..BUMP BUMP..I say something stupid like nice rocks, my Son who is looking back over the transom say's There's a body in the water!! We had run over somebody that was in the water. Fearing the worst, I ran back to take a look and sure enough we have this guy wrapped up in the starboard outboard prop..LONG STORY..My Son and I end up stripped down, standing on the swim platform trying to cut this poor guy out of the prop. He's completely dressed in Levis (what's left of them), Boots, shirt etc. Don't know how he came to be in the water. Seemed to be a bit intoxicated to me.He's screaming to not let him die. This whole thing turned into one of the biggest nightmares I've ever been involved in. We were finally able to get this guy up on one of the swim steps while I tried to hold his ass together. It had been cut in two across the left buttocks and right through the rectal area...NOT PRETTY.
    Not enough room here to convey what all took place that night. After putting together some pieces of the puzzle that night I was able to come up with this. Law enforcement recieved a call about someone in the water near the Colorado Belle. He had drifted all the way down to Harrah's before we struck him.
    I have never seen such cavalier attitudes on the parts of the rescue workers in all my years (and there have been a few). They ranged from wise cracks like "Talk about being torn a new one" to "looks like my guys are gonna have to get their boots wet".
    I understand that the person who was in the water was air-lifted to Las Vegas that night. I also understand that the Captain of the Water Taxi has been placed on some sort of Administrative leave pending a Coast Guard investigation. Isn't it interesting that not one person ever asked for my name, what I saw, what we did, what took place and on and on...Was a great trip other than that.I'll post some shots of boating when I get a chance.

Run_em_Hard
    Wow!!!

IMPATIENT 1
    shiat! that's screwed up!

That time of the day, at that time of the year, on that stretch of river, on the West bank, I'm sure it was hard to see (after dusk). Sounds like you handled it well and did the right thing... he should be glad you guys were on board and not the typical tourist.
    As far as the rescue workers..... that's F'ed up and they should be reported. Unfortunately, it's a BHC thing....

Kachina26
    I don't envy what you saw, just think though, those rescue workers see this on a regular basis. I know some rescue workers personally and they use humor to overcome some of what they deal with. Maybe it was the wrong time and place for it, but I kind of understand it. Good work on you and your sons part.

MudPumper
    I don't envy what you saw, just think though, those rescue workers see this on a regular basis. I know some rescue workers personally and they use humor to overcome some of what they deal with. Maybe it was the wrong time and place for it, but I kind of understand it. Good work on you and your sons part.
    Exactly.....We see shit on a weekly basis that most people only read about in the papers and is usually sugar coated. And even then, a lot of the crazy shit that happens does not get news coverage. Everybody handles things differently and a lot of the time we use humor to deal with stuff we see. I was the first one to arrive on scene at a double fatality a couple of weeks ago. Car jumped off the freeway overpass and landed on the street below. One person was ejected and suffered major head trauma and was missing her brain. Although a tragic scene, there were people joking around while conducting our business. It's how we cope with the gravity of the situation. It's understandable how some of you may perceive it as insensitive but believe me, we are not insensitive to the images we see.
    So go ahead and make a report of you feel it's necessary but think about this. When was the last time you went to work and during the course of your day saw a woman that was severely beaten by her husband in front of her kids and had to be taken away in an ambulance. Saw a family grieving over a family member who had just passed away and that family member is stil sitting on the couch in the living room where they took their last breath. Saw a person who had been bound, gagged, murdered and stuffed in the trunk of their car or saw a body that was so badly injured from a car accident that they are unrecognizable and missing body parts. Now go home after a long day at work and when your wife asks how your day was try not to break down and cry because of what you dealt with at work that day.

DirtySquirty
    Being former, LE I've seen alot, heard alot, bagged a few... No reports are necessary as far as I'm concerned. I am sure, BHC rescue personel see more than their fair share of ugly scenes. I did find it curious that nobody wanted info from me. Also interesting that our oldest son is in the Coast Guard, and I found out what it's like to do his job..

CP Dad
    Dido.................... I can understand where somebody not in that line of work could see that sort of conduct being out of line. I went to a train vs pedestrian about a month ago and the damage was almost unbelievable. If you tried to rationalize what had happened and taken the tradgedy the family was feeling and place yourself in the middle of it, it would have torn you up. LE and Rescue personnel deal with this garbage day in and day out, and have learned to disconnect themselves with the victims to protect themselves. Sometimes it is easy to forget who might be in earshot of your converstion with others, and that's unfortunate. Do what you have to as far as a report, but I agree that it's not neccesary. Nobody should put themselves in anothers shoes or try to criticize the way a job was done if they've never worn the shoes themselves......... Especially dealing with rescue personnel at the river. They have witnessed more loss and tragic endings to family vacations then anybody. And it's usually due to extreme stupidity on somebody's end............... just my $.02........

CP Dad
    Dirty, didn't see your last post............. Sorry! I agree with you. It is really strange that nobody wanted a statement from you........... I guess sometimes those investigations are pretty cut and dry. I'm sure your fam will remember that vacation for a long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

El Prosecutor
    . . . LE and Rescue personnel deal with this garbage day in and day out, and have learned to disconnect themselves with the victims to protect themselves. Sometimes it is easy to forget who might be in earshot of your converstion with others, and that's unfortunate. . . .
    Good thread and good thoughts for both sides to remember. I for one have been in a position to really appreciate EMT's handling my loved ones professionally and with respect.