Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Racing mods

DJ, What the hell...its only money, if you start adding it up you only get discouraged and may want to quit or if your wife finds out she will make you quit. Just don't dip into the kid's college fund. Costello, I don't know sh*t about metallurgy but I have heard that after the chroming process the metal can be de-gassed to recover some of the strength without the aid of high heat, know anything about this? Have also heard that nickle plating only will not cause hydrogen embrittlement, any plating experts out there?

Costello
    058, that is interesting, but I do not know too much about the plating process, and what can be done to restore integrity after the fact. I do know the process upsets temper on heat treated pieces. I'm not sure of the differences in adverse effect from nickel, decorative chrome, and hard chrome. I do know that most chrome shops (hard or decorative) cannot keep up with demand as they are so heavily regulated by EPA and others. I think this plays favorably into the hands of powdercoaters, and folks who have other wear resistant solutions other than the hard chrome. Good Luck Detroit Jim with your race project.

schiada96
    How about a dry film kind of like speed coat?
    The dry film can be put on bare metal but they recomend a light bead blast. Lots of platers do this process. It has good corrosion resistance also. MIl-L-46010 is the process.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123