Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roller cam bearings

Taylorman
    Whats the advantage of roller cam bearings. Its my understanding that you block off the oil holes to the cam when using them. Do you have to bore the cam bore for them to fit?

fc-pilot
    Yes, and Yes. They do block off the holes to the cam bearings. Roller cam bearings are fine with the splash of oil from the rotating assembly so they do not need the pressure fed oil. Now that the engine does not need as much oil you can slow down your oil pump (if running a dry sump or external pump) to save HP. If you are running a normal wet sump system then you don't need to run a high volume pump therefore reducing drag just like with the dry sump.
    Now you do need to have the cam tunnel bored for them which usually costs a fair chunk. Usually going to roller cam bearings you end up going to a big core cam (55mm or bigger) which helps reduce the cam twist and flex from big spring pressures. Most do not go this route unless they have already done every other trick to make power and still need just a few more ponies.
    While we are on the topic, I have a question. Is anyone making roller cam bearings for standard Chevy cams?
    Paul

84camaro
    thats weird to see this i called comp yesterday and asked about them you have to have a cam made for them. the guy i talked to was a dumb ass didnt know anything about them though. i asked how they oil and he didnt know or anything i asked he just had no clue.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Taylorman, you ask some good questions

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    . the guy i talked to was a dumb ass didnt know anything about them though. i asked how they oil and he didnt know or anything i asked he just had no clue.
    Go figure and the idiot was working in tech support:yuk: Now I really know why I dont use thier cams anymore.......

River Rat 005
    Comp makes a good product. But like most manufactures, they have a lousy tech service.

how long do roller cam bearings last compared to regular bearings?

lilrick
    how long do roller cam bearings last compared to regular bearings?
    I also was wondering about the cost effectiveness of this .How much would installation cost as well?

WannabeRacing
    Install is expensive. I would have to check my bills, but I think I paid $400 for my last set. Bearings are like $27 each. Not many machine shops can do them very well, or have much experience.
    Most guys leave them in rebuild after rebuild after rebuild. But that is drag race stuff.

what do you mean installation is expensive? Are you referring to boring the cam tunnell or actually installing the cam bearings?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast