Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starter solenoid

75MillerJet
    I have a separate starter solenoid mounted just above the flywheel on my 454 and I'm just getting a click from it when I turn the key. No juice to the starter. Is most likely just a dead solenoid? Maybe no ground? Also what is the point of this as opposed to the solenoid mounted on the starter?

I have a separate starter solenoid mounted just above the flywheel on my 454 and I'm just getting a click from it when I turn the key. No juice to the starter. Is most likely just a dead solenoid? Maybe no ground? Also what is the point of this as opposed to the solenoid mounted on the starter?
    Could be any of those things.
    Here's a link to thread that tells you more about what they're for. (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129856)

Moneypitt
    Try a jumper cable from the batt side of the extra solinoid to the large batt connection at the starter, then a smaller,(10ga.)jumper from that lg terminal to the small terminal marked "S".(just touch it, briefly) The starter should work.(Small wire MAY get HOT if there is a dead short in the starter). If it doesn't crank, the problem isn't with the top mounted solinoid, it is in the actual starter. That second (extra) solinoid is being used as a relay, and would allow that harness to be used on a variety of engine types that may require that remote solinoid. If the starter works fine when you go around it, you COULD eliminate it from the circuit and just use the GM type solinoid wired directly from the battery.........MP

75MillerJet
    Try a jumper cable from the batt side of the extra solinoid to the large batt connection at the starter, then a smaller,(10ga.)jumper from that lg terminal to the small terminal marked "S".(just touch it, briefly) The starter should work.(Small wire MAY get HOT if there is a dead short in the starter). If it doesn't crank, the problem isn't with the top mounted solinoid, it is in the actual starter. That second (extra) solinoid is being used as a relay, and would allow that harness to be used on a variety of engine types that may require that remote solinoid. If the starter works fine when you go around it, you COULD eliminate it from the circuit and just use the GM type solinoid wired directly from the battery.........MP
    first off thank for the diagram rex...
    SO, what i got from that was that the reason for aux solenoid is to avoid the high temps and to get the most from the battery to the starter by taking a shorter route? Kinda confused on why this helps tho since you still have to go thrrough the main solenoid which IS in the high temps still.

The relay allows you to run a larger wire as a switch leg down to the starter
    solenoid. The larger wire is less susceptible to resitance created by heat.
    A ford relay is a good one for this job.

75MillerJet
    ok so i'm basically hooking 2 jumpers to the + side of the main starter solenoid: one going to the + side of the relay solenoid, and one going to the S wire.... is that right? creating a loop sort of? well, i did that and all i'm getting is a click still. sounds like a click from each solenoid but no firing of the starter. am i looking at a bad starter?

Jetdriver
    Pat,
    Just left you a message on your cell. The ground wire that runs to the block is loose. Call my cell and Ill walk you through it.
    Shawn

Moneypitt
    Pat,
    Just left you a message on your cell. The ground wire that runs to the block is loose. Call my cell and Ill walk you through it.
    Shawn
    Could also be the brush end bushing. Try pulling the end plate and rotating it 180*. This puts the worn "gravity" side up, and may help the starter turn. If this helps, don't consider it fixed, change the starter at your first convience. And as stated, the ground is as important as the hot..........MP

first off thank for the diagram rex...
    SO, what i got from that was that the reason for aux solenoid is to avoid the high temps and to get the most from the battery to the starter by taking a shorter route? Kinda confused on why this helps tho since you still have to go thrrough the main solenoid which IS in the high temps still.
    The traditional stock wiring in many boats runs the power to the starter solenoid clear from the back of the boat to the key switch and back. Over time small amounts of corrosion set in and voltage drop beyond what it takes to click the Chevy starter solenoid occurs. Heat adds to the equation, hence many times they act up only when hot.
    The slave solenoid removes that long run from the Chevy solenoid circuit and it takes much less voltage to click a slave solenoid than the stock Chevy starter solenoid.

The traditional stock wiring in many boats runs the power to the starter solenoid clear from the back of the boat to the key switch and back. Over time small amounts of corrosion set in and voltage drop beyond what it takes to click the Chevy starter solenoid occurs. Heat adds to the equation, hence many times they act up only when hot.
    The slave solenoid removes that long run from the Chevy solenoid circuit and it takes much less voltage to click a slave solenoid than the stock Chevy starter solenoid.
    EXACTLY............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast