Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starter solenoid

GofastRacer
    Yes indeed!..

75MillerJet
    well i tried the jumpers and it wasn't the ground wire being loose. still just getting a click at the solenoids when i hit it. is my next step to get the starter tested?

75MillerJet
    Ok i just picked up a new relay solenoid since they're cheap and it wasn't it. Still just getting that lame-ass click when i turn the key. I guess it's time to pull the starter and get it tested? Any suggestions? Also, is there a way to hook up a tester to the starter's wiring to see if i'm getting juice to them?

Try this old backyard test. Have someone hold the key over to start position (not forever). Then tap on the starter with a hammer.
    If it starts you need to have the starter worked on or replace it. It has brush or armature issues.
    Also you can put a voltmeter on the starter lug that goes into the top of the starter to check for juice when you turn the key. Obviously the ground lead of the voltmeter needs to go to ground. If you're not seeing voltage there you may just have a solenoid issue. You can also jump from the bat to that same large starter lug. It should spin like a mofo. Clear the area of any fuel fumes first though because it will arc.

DaddyMack
    Stupid thought.... could be the battery. Seen this exact thing happen on my old 455 olds jet boat. Battery powered everything but not enough juice to turn over the starter.

75MillerJet
    K well I'll try those things this week and see how it goes. Thanx guys.

75MillerJet
    Got a new starter... fires up beautifully! Thanx guys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12