Thread: thunderbolt IV ignition ??

Badburn
    1989 carrera with 454 mercruiser engine - Does anyone know of a way to change the timing curve in one of these ignitions? There is no mechanical advance mechanism in the distributor.

obnoxious001
    I think one of the tricks is to get a 6 cyl module that apparently has the curve come in more quickly.

rrrr
    The curve and total advance is determined by the advance module. I seem to recall there are 22, 24 and 26 degree modules.
    I don't think the curve can be changed if I remember correctly, but that was a few boats ago..... :boxed:
    The modules are pricey, I think perhaps you could find a spamarama MSD distributor for the same price.

737jetmech
    The advance curve is built into the module as already stated. They sell for about $250. new .

ghittner
    The curve and total advance is determined by the advance module. I seem to recall there are 22, 24 and 26 degree modules.
    I don't think the curve can be changed if I remember correctly, but that was a few boats ago..... :boxed:
    The modules are pricey, I think perhaps you could find a spamarama MSD distributor for the same price.
    Take a look on ebay and you will find some of the different total advances come up once in a while. I've bought a v-6 14 degree module for my blower motor and it works great.