Thread: V-drive gear ratio?

Lumpy
    I am looking at every inch of my new 18 foot miller flatbottom checking every nut and bolt, u-joint, etc. I took my seats out and found out I do have an alternator. It is mounted on the stringer. It looks like someone put a new hallcraft vdrive in it because the case looks brand new unless it just stayed that clean. The velvet drive has the normal grunge look for its age. I was just wondering if there is a way to tell what gear ratio I have in my v-drive? Can I spin the prop and count something or ??

pgf127rt
    Lumpy, the gear ratio is usually stamped on the gears, but you must open the v-drive to find out, you can figure the ratio by disconnecting the drive line and find the ratio by rotating the prop shaft and counting the revolutions of the input shaft and use that mathematical formula to figure the percent of overdrive, hope this helps.

Stab-n-Steer
    Lumpy,
    To add to what pgf127rt said, disconnect the drive line, put a mark on the input flange at 6:00 then mark the output shaft at 12:00. Rotate the input shaft until the marks line up again exactly. It's easy to loose count because you will probably rotate it over thirty times before the marks line up again. Make sure they line up perfectly. I keep track by marking each rotation on paper. For example, if the input shaft rotates 30 times and the output 36, you simply divide the output by the input to determine the ratio, 36/30=1.20 so you would have 20% overdrive...
    S&S

pgf127rt
    Stab&Steer, that was the mathematical deal this old fart couldn't remember, thanks I was worried about confusing him.

Stab-n-Steer
    pgf,
    Believe me, I understand! I hate when I go charging out to the gargage on some important mission and then have no idea what the hell I went out there to do!... Now, let's see, where did I leave my coffee cup???
    S&S

Sangerboy
    pgf & s&s, I'm with you. My brother and I swore several years ago when we were helping my dad repower his 1960 Belmont from Lincoln to BBC power that we would rename the boat "It's around here somewhere" because that was my dad's response whenever we asked where a tool or part was. Unfortunately what goes around comes around and I find myself far to often in my garage wondering what I was looking for.

PGF545
    You guys are too funny!!! Whenever I am looking for something at dads, he always says it's in a box, on the shelf...OVER THERE, and point in a vague direction towarde the back of the garage...now everytime I am down there I say....IT'S IN A BOX, ON THE SHELF, OVER THERE...of course it's right there on the floor in front of me....LMAO.
    Bernie

Stab-n-Steer
    Yeah, you guys wait, It's only a matter of time! My dear 'ol mom calls it "Sometimers"
    disease...
    S&S

Originally posted by Stab-n-Steer:
    Yeah, you guys wait, It's only a matter of time! My dear 'ol mom calls it "Sometimers"
    disease...
    S&SThat is closely related to CRS