Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New to V-Drives- Have a question

mrsbaracuda
    We just bought a '76 18' Sanger flatbottom with a 468 blown BBC. We have never had nor driven one before. The question I have is where should I run the cavatation plates to keep it from porpoising? (The T-handle is about 1/4 of the way up.) Or do you just ride or accelerate thru it? We have a STV Outboard that does the same thing around 65/70 MPH, with this we just accelerate thru it and it takes care of itself.
    baracuda

Kindsvater Flat
    NO! NO! NO! Don't try and power through it. Ever see a flying wing? Find someone near you that has a v-drive and let them take you for a ride. A T-handle adjustment isn't fast enough when you need to drop it down. I prefer the foot pedals. Be safe rather that sorry.

mrsbaracuda
    We have the foot pedal for adjustment as well. Do you use the foot pedal versus the T handle to bring the nose down when it starts to porpoise? Not to many people here have V-drive knowledge to be able to go on a ride with.

Kindsvater Flat
    I only have have the foot pedals. I start with pedal down and raise as I pick up speed. It will get light and loose when the plate is raised. When in doubt run the plate down until you get used to it. Once you get a feel for how the boat handles you will feel more confident. It all takes time. It took quite a few outing before I felt confident about raising the pedal.
    About the porpoising, if the plate doesn't take care of it, you will have to use motor placement.

infotraker
    I have a 68 Schiada (owned sin 68) with a 454 Chysler, dual tunnel. Top speed is about 80. I have a t handle only and control the porpoiseing pretty well by lowering the plate. You need to get the plate adjusted correctly to begin with by adjusting the turnbuckles. I leveled the plate and then turned down the right side a little towards the outside to handle the prop pull. There are procedures somewhere on a forum on how to set the plate intially.

mrsbaracuda
    Kindsvater Flat,
    Thank you for the input. The way to getting better I guess is to practice. Thru trial and error, hopefully more trial than error!
    OOps got to get the smilies down!! Wrong one
    [This message has been edited by mrsbaracuda (edited June 02, 2002).]

mrsbaracuda
    Originally posted by infotraker:
    I have a 68 Schiada (owned sin 68) with a 454 Chysler, dual tunnel. Top speed is about 80. I have a t handle only and control the porpoiseing pretty well by lowering the plate. You need to get the plate adjusted correctly to begin with by adjusting the turnbuckles. I leveled the plate and then turned down the right side a little towards the outside to handle the prop pull. There are procedures somewhere on a forum on how to set the plate intially.
    Thanks!! I will try and find the procedures if it is on this forum.

If the boat is porpoising adjust the plate at the turnbuckles first before you move anything. Everyone has their own way of adjusting the plate so it would help to talk to a few people who know what they are doing but you may get several opinions. The only thing you should use the T handle is for cruising to lock the plate down so your leg doesn't get tired.

Costello
    Bernie, JoeDon, Jetboatguru, 126 driver, LeeSS, SuperDave, and maybe a few others on here have all raced flats and should be of help. V-Drive Tom is also very knowledgeable on a solid setup. The porpoise problem is more than likely a combo of plate setting, engine placement, horsepower, gear, and propeller. The measurements, honest ball park HP rating, gear ratio, and dimensions of your prop are going to be needed for you to recieve adequate guidance either here or from someone local to you.

superdave013
    It takes seat time to drive a flat well. Flats are unlike any other as it takes lots of driver input to make one run / ride well. They will all porpoise at some point with the plate in a fixed spot. Forget that tee handle for speed runs and just use the down pedal. That way you can make quick, instant plate adjustments. Stay off the up pedal for now too if it has one. The tee handle is only for crusing around and pulling skiers.
    You are starting off with a boat that has some power so don't try to be a hero right away. When you whack it from an idle you will want to be giving it lots of plate right now. Then as it starts to set you will want to let up on the plate. Don't go WOT with the plate all the way down as it might want to bow steer. At WOT it should ride with no propoising and set nice and flat with you foot pretty much off the plate.
    If it does not don't start cranking on the turnbukles right away. Let us know what it's doing and we can give you some input.
    When you get some seat time then we will have the world famous JetBoatGuru explaine how to "Hang Fin" and not do da doinke doink when getting out of the hole.
    I know those STVs are pretty bad ass but I bet you about craped your pants when you wacked the throttle on the flat for the first time. Flats are very fun to drive on smooth water. You will love it when ya get it figured out.
    Is your boat a true flat or is it a runnerbottom (little 5/8" or so tunnles)?

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast