Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for 700hp out of a 496...

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Ok so I have decided to build a 496 so I can keep some of my old components. I will be looking for some ideas on cam/heads and rotating assy kit. I dont mind running 12-13.1 comp so dont rule this out. I want good hp with low maintenance........
    here is whats in mind
    454 4 bolt mains
    big solid roller cam
    aluminum heads
    forged slugs(obviously)
    h-beam rods
    steel crank

Ok so I have decided to build a 496 so I can keep some of my old components. I will be looking for some ideas on cam/heads and rotating assy kit. I dont mind running 12-13.1 comp so dont rule this out. I want good hp with low maintenance........
    here is whats in mind
    454 4 bolt mains
    big solid roller cam
    aluminum heads
    forged slugs(obviously)
    h-beam rods
    steel crank
    Awww Michael...
    so u finally decided to step up with the big boys! lol ....i'm building a blown 496...hope to have it done by next summer!...anyways...u might ck with Dyno-Flo in Henderson...they have Eagle kits (complete)...just a suggestion
    Ron (fastrat)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    That was my next question. I am looking at thier stuff and it appears really nice and decent on the pocket. They have a nice 540 kit well priced! whats the story on thier products????

x7734x
    That was my next question. I am looking at thier stuff and it appears really nice and decent on the pocket. They have a nice 540 kit well priced! whats the story on thier products????
    My Dynoflo 572 is going through it's final phase right now. It should be done by within the week or next week at the latest due to some other part issues. Scott is a stand up guy and I have no issues as of yet. Should be water testing by this or next week. I will report back after that.
    BTW, it's going in a 2000 25' Eliminator Daytona.

460 jus getn it
    Just built a big FORD.......That way you wont be worried if its going to run right or not....LMAO

WannabeRacing
    'Yeah, just build a big Ford.'
    Er, wait. I guess you stated that you wanted to use some of your parts.
    I would go with DynoFlo if I were you. The story on their parts is simple. They sell more eagle than anyone other private shop in the US. Great price breaks. Same on JE, and a few others. Scot is a good guy. Talk to him direct if you can.
    As for heads, I think I would use the ProLightning heads. But I would use iron. Cheaper and tougher. Very tough against overheating, abuse, and any banging that may occur. (But that is just me.) Then I would take the money I save from aluminum to iron and spend it on some parts upgrades. Aluminum would be nice as well. But whatever you want to do.

PC Rat
    u might ck with Dyno-Flo in Henderson...they have Eagle kits (complete)...just a suggestion
    Ron (fastrat)
    Be absolutely sure what you are getting from Dyno-Flo. Buying parts from them might be one thing, but I wouldn't buy an engine from them. I've seen their work, it's pretty bad.

WETTE VETTE
    I built a 496 similar to what you are looking at. I ran 13.2:1 compression SPR pistons, Eagle rods with L19 bolts and an Eagle crank. The heads were bowl ported 325 Pro 1 Darts with 2.3/1.88 valves. Intake was a Merlin with an adaptor to a 4500 flange and the carb was a Nickerson stage 5 1050. The cam was a Comp solid roller 272/280 @ .050" on 112+4 with .714" lift. THe motor was a beast and pulled very hard to 6300 RPM and pushed my 21' Baja close to triple digits. The only downfall with that motor was I ran CMI E-top exhaust. I believe with Sport Tubes or similar full runner header the motor would have pulled to 6500 plus RPM and made more power throughout. Never dynoed the motor but 650 HP was probably pretty close, 700+ with better headers.
    Craig

LakesOnly
    You want 700 HP and you need 4-bolt mains? And Wette Vette here needed ported aftermarket heads and a solid roller cam and 13:1 c/r to manage just 650HP out of 496 GM cubes? I have just two things to say:
    1) Can your block be repaired?
    2) If not, I pledge to you a FREE standard bore 429/460 block and D0VE heads and 460 crank (for offset stroking) provided you use them to build a Ford for your boat and run it in place of a chebby. :devil: I will also offer you plenty of guidance. With these parts you could be on your way to a 500-inch stroker (at only .030" overbore) that could easily make 650HP with the supplied componentry, and possibly more HP if you get only equally as aggressive as some of the other posters in this thread.
    LO
    p.s.: This offer expires in 5 days.

cfm
    I think Wette Vette is a conservative guesser. He did not dyno, so no reason to throw out some BS huge number. Especially since exhaust is huge at this rpm and power level.
    700hp should be quite easy with a 496 and 12.5 - 13:1 compression.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast