Thread: Barron sprint set-up measurements?

Nailhead
    I've got a 1976 Barron sprint that I'm currently redoing. The engine was at 35" off transom & the v-drive is at 95" off transom. Does this sound correct? Anybody have good numbers that I can start off with if mine arent? Engine will be 550-600 hp hopefully. Thanks for any help

HaryCary333
    I too, am currently working on re-doing my Barron Sprint, although mine is a 1981. When I read this I went outside to measure. There is no engine in it, but I read around 35 1/2" from the inside of the transom to the first engine mount hole. Also the v-drive center plate is about 90" off the inside transom. This boat is a circle-boat, so the drive runs off the front of motor(If that makes a difference). I just pulled out of the woods yesterday, and she's in pretty rough shape, sounds like my winter project. Hey good luck with your project, if I can help ya, just lemme know, it's worth it, I love mine.

LeE ss13
    At least two more measurements are needed. How long does the Cav Plate go from the back of the boat? 6", 8", 10"? And what is the measurement from the end of the strut barrel to the end of the Cav Plate?

WannabeRacing
    The real measurements we need are as follows;
    Length of plates from the transom to end of cav plate.
    Back of transom to end of barrel of strut.
    Angle of strut barrel to bottom of boat measured in degrees.
    Distance from the center of the strut barrel to the bottom of the boat.
    The v-drive is just on the end of the propshaft. Where it is in inches from the transom is determined by the mounting of the strut. So where the v-drive is often deceiving.
    Once we know where the strut is and the degree of it, as well as where the engine is, then we can begin to tell you what and how the boat was set-up, or what adjustments are needed.

Nailhead
    At least two more measurements are needed. How long does the Cav Plate go from the back of the boat? 6", 8", 10"? And what is the measurement from the end of the strut barrel to the end of the Cav Plate?
    End of strut barrell (on the back side) to end of plate is 31-1/4" & plates are 11" long. Prop shaft is between 7-1/2 to 8 degrees. I was told by the previous owner this was once a K-boat. The Plates seem really long. I am trying to run this thing in the nostie class to see how I like it. Thanks

Dkahnjob
    I have a 1976 Barron Sprint, it originally had a blown 427 and no trans. The distance from the back of the right cylinder head to the transom was 31 1/2". I added a turbo 400 trans, so I had to move the engine back 3 1/2" to fit the trans in so now the total distance is 28", but the trans added some weight forward.
    My Cavitation plates extent 8" beyond the back of the transom and the dimension from the rear of the barrel on the strut to the transom is 19" or to the back of the plate is 27". My boat handles very well, turns good and sets nicely. Overall I would say that the set up works extremly well for my boat, which is now running an Injected BBC with aluminum heads, 697hp.
    Dave Kahn

GofastRacer
    I've got a 1976 Barron sprint that I'm currently redoing. The engine was at 35" off transom & the v-drive is at 95" off transom. Does this sound correct? Anybody have good numbers that I can start off with if mine arent? Engine will be 550-600 hp hopefully. Thanks for any help
    Get a hold of Gary(E-Ticket)I redid his last year and it's "right", I'm bad with numbers and I didn't write them down so I can't tell you what they are but I'm sure he'll share them with you!..

LeE ss13
    I agree with Art, Gary's setup is the Bomb. Otherwise, if you only make 600hp you will need to cut 3" off the plate, or you will have to go 90 mph before the boat lays down. After reading Dave's setup, you might want to go 4" off the plate. Notice he says it "sets nicely". Barrons pack more air under the boat than a B-boat, which is why they do so well in the Kilos, but makes their setup more sensitive. Keep us posted. I think a Barron would make a killer Nostalgic racer.

WannabeRacing
    The good news is that the strut should not need to be moved. That will save you enourmous amounts of time and effort. The sound of the set-up could definitely be an old K-boat. They are famous for long plates. If that were a b-boat, you would want to stick that with 8" plates with that strut placement. But I am not sure with the Barron stuff. I am going to stick with Art on this deal and see where that boat is at.
    But it should be made up with strictly the length of the plates, and a quick try of a few good props. Also, some info on what the engine would be. Horsepower estimated numbers are good, but cubic inch, heads, compression, cam, induction will give us a good reference point to torque numbers, where it will make it's power, etc. That makes a difference as well.