Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sheared pulley bolts

Schiada76
    Anyone ever shear the three bolts from the pulley assembly to the dampner?
    I'm thinking the belt was just a tad too tight.
    First trip out with the new motor and hat it was running like a cat on fire until the pullies fell off. Thank god I was shutting it off when it happened.
    How much play do you want in the belt with an intercooler? I had about a half inch in each direction.
    Rio, Thanks again for throttle bracket it works perfect.

wsuwrhr
    Might want to check the chamfer on all the pulleys.
    A rock crawer buddy of mine kept shearing the driveshaft bolts. I was over his house when he was replacing the bolts and neither flange had any chamfer
    whatsoever. Talk about a perfect shear.
    Added a good chamfer to all parts and no more sheared off bolts.
    Brian
    First trip out with the new motor and hat it was running like a cat on fire until the pullies fell off. Thank god I was shutting it off when it happened.
    How much play do you want in the belt with an intercooler? I had about a half inch in each direction.

cyclone
    i did the same thing with my blower motor. sheered the bolts, lower pulley fell into the bilge and the blower belt flew into the river. I found out the six bolt setup is the way to go and not the three bolt set up. I bought a new six bolt balancer from good vibrations racing and was good to go from there on out.

superdave013
    Is that with the engine hot or cold?
    And one last question:
    You are using 6 grade 8 bolts and hardend washers right?

cole555
    Ati makes a dampner for supercharger pulley set up and ,it has a receiver so you need a longer dampner bolt and washer.

blowngas
    use grade 8 bolts, and check them from time to time----don't try stainless----stainless is tough, not hard-----they will last a little while and then start bending and loosen up the pulley-----and use a 6 hole dampner if you run one---- a blower puts a pretty good load on things to drive it------but sure makes things fun!!!!

sgdiv7
    All that was said above and use a serviceable lock tight like blue. I have only 3 bolts to the damper with 12lbs boost and alternator. No fall off yet.

Schiada76
    3 bolt dampner. It's a pos Weiand blower that's loose as a goose. Never checked the boost but was about 12#'s before the hat went on.
    Was running stainless bolts which I knew was contributory.
    The belt play was 1" net when cold.
    Can it be safe with the the three bolt dampner and grade 8 bolts?
    I'm sure happy I was pulling up to my buoy when it went away, right when I shut it off.

DMOORE
    Should be good with grade 8 bolts and washers with locktite (blue).
    Darrell.

Bobby Knight
    Agreed w / almost all said above. 1" play should be good on the belt, and if it was to tight, you would usually destroy the bearings in the blower, and then of course, a good chance of the blower itself. I would never run the 3 bolt system. Especially in a boat. Especially w/ 12 pounds. Especially after this. I know some are fortunate, but thats less common. Just my .02. Good Luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast