Thread: Muffler Delete

BRSTQUEST
    Is anyone running the LLY without a muffler??? I have an '05 with Edge, intake and MBRP cat-back and was wondering if anyone was running something close to this with a muffler delete. I have heard several Fords without a muffler and they sound mean!!!! Just wondering if any Chevy guys are running this....

djunkie
    A friend of mine has that. Cat back straight pipe and it dumps right in front of the rear tire. Sounds OK. I don't think diesels have a really cool exhaust sound like gas motors.

Danhercules
    The cheby sounds bad ass with the cat and muffler gone. Sounds like a jet in aferburner with the VVT doing its thing. You will need a fingerstick to not throw codes. Its cheep.

YeLLowBoaT
    removing the cat is a federal no-no...Trust me if your sited for that its going to hurt.

Run_em_Hard
    I have a 4" straight from the turbo on my dodge....sounds awesome.

Waist Deep
    I removed the muffler from my powerstroke and it sounded like shiat. So, I went to Jegs and put on a straight thru muffler and it still sounded shiatty. I don't know about chevy. I've got an 03 I was looking at doing this to, but the flutter sound I got from the Ford is holding me back.

sigepmock
    I have an 05 2500HD DMax with the Predator tuner on 65 hp setting. I run no cat with the Banks 4" exhaust and it sounds good but not too loud. I have a friend that ran no muffler and no cat and he got a drone/humm in the cab at freeway speed. He put the cat back in ....no help.....took the cat out and added a muffler.....no more drone/humm.
    Removing the cat is a smog no no but you will see lower EGT's faster "spool-up" and a slight increase in performance and MPG. You may need the Finger Stick, a small diode wired into the MAS wire to keep from throwing a P0101 code and a SES light. It's cheap and easy to install.
    Removing the cat was so far the best bang for the buck mod I've done and you can definately hear the Turbo through the exhaust now.
    Just my $.02,
    Chris

Cole Trickle
    I have an 05 2500HD DMax with the Predator tuner on 65 hp setting. I run no cat with the Banks 4" exhaust and it sounds good but not too loud. I have a friend that ran no muffler and no cat and he got a drone/humm in the cab at freeway speed. He put the cat back in ....no help.....took the cat out and added a muffler.....no more drone/humm.
    Removing the cat is a smog no no but you will see lower EGT's faster "spool-up" and a slight increase in performance and MPG. You may need the Finger Stick, a small diode wired into the MAS wire to keep from throwing a P0101 code and a SES light. It's cheap and easy to install.
    Removing the cat was so far the best bang for the buck mod I've done and you can definately hear the Turbo through the exhaust now.
    Just my $.02,
    Chris
    Correct....
    Removing the muffler will do nothing but make it noisy.
    The power gains are in adding the down pipe and eliminating the cat.
    On a side note 05's will go into limp mode when they notice an exhaust system. You have to get a finger stick or something that will trick the computer.