Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jet-drive transformation?

troublemaker
    what has to be done to change a jet-drive to a v-drive? how much$$ is the speed gain worth the trouble?

SPECTRABRENT
    I would say not worth the trouble. Sell your current jet boat and buy a v-drive already done.
    Brent

69 Elim
    ditto

troublemaker
    uuhhh the wife really likes the boat and i do too, but i want more speed and i know you cant do alot with a jet

superdave013
    Originally posted by troublemaker:
    uuhhh the wife really likes the boat and i do too, but i want more speed and i know you cant do alot with a jet
    Whatda ya mean? Lots of very fast jets out there. I bet there is alot of things you can do still.

troublemaker
    well the boat is a 20' tahati she is really heavy and i was thinking it might be cheeper to change the drive than too go really crazy with the engine. it has a 455 olds,berkly 12jc i would like to keep the boat reliable and pick up some speed.possible?

Hustler
    I would put a BBC in it first off then take the pump down to Jack at MPD, with those two changfes i bet you would see a big change.
    Hustler

SPECTRABRENT
    First, Did Tahati ever make a v-drive?
    Second, your boat is not made well enough to install a v-drive, no full lenght stringers, no bulkheads, & heavier lay up. Your boat was not made to be a v-drive. V-drives are usually 500 to 800 lbs heavier than a jet.
    Sell yours and get an old Hallett, Spectra, Schiada, Howard, etc.. These boats were made as v-drives and they perform excellent.
    Brent

troublemaker
    ohwell just a thought? i guess ill just go ahead and get the little hydrostream ive always liked. selling the jet is out of the question (per wife) ill just have to find a friend to pull one of them to the lake for me. thanks for the input very helpful

Costello
    Troublemaker, I've got a 21' DiMarco V-Drive Cruiser, fresh powerplant, nice shape overall that is almost completed. I may be willing to trade for the Tahiti and probably less cash than the V-Drive conversion would cost you. E-Mail me if you'd like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast