Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If it works, DON'T mess with it!

TahitiTiger
    I learned this definately the hard way!
    My boat never had a water pressure regulator, it had to be adjusted by the gate valve on the pump. So I decided I would install a pressure valve and a through transom dump. Well we get to the lake, and my friend is sitting in the back of the boat to adjust it for the first time. As we scoot along the lake I give him signals to increase the pressure. The water pressure gauge on the dash never read above 5 pounds. So I called it good, and the boat was running at a good temp.
    Got home that night decided to check the oil level, and it was about a quart over with water . Out came the engine, pulled the intake, and saw imediately where it blew threw. Good thing is the bearings look real good (motor only has 14 hours or so on it). The bore is real clean too. I still need to pull the cam and check it over.
    Oh and the reason? my water pressure gauge must have broke from the last lake trip to this trip. The water pressure valve was set to 40+ psi, and the dash gauge still reads only 5 pounds.

hotbo
    that sucks anus.:devil: hope everything else checks out for ya,thats my kinda luck right there.:jawdrop:

bahner454
    That sucks, I run mine at 30PSI max and have never had an issues. My buddy just did the same (blew out the intake gasket) on his last weekend at Modesto.
    Needless to say his motor is now on the stand and should be ready to rock in a couple weeks.
    I see you are from Central Cal, where do you run your boat? Ever been to modesto Res?

bead
    i was told its not any old regulator that you put in . i got the part # if you need it . mine works sweet .

TahitiTiger
    That sucks, I run mine at 30PSI max and have never had an issues. My buddy just did the same (blew out the intake gasket) on his last weekend at Modesto.
    Needless to say his motor is now on the stand and should be ready to rock in a couple weeks.
    I see you are from Central Cal, where do you run your boat? Ever been to modesto Res?
    I run around lake San Antonio, all the time. I have yet to visit Millerton, or any in the Modesto area.

squirtn20
    I have never had any regulator on mine. was pressure should it be? Didn't know I need one??

bead
    mines 5 #s to 6#s at idle and no more than 15 #s at wot. MPD suggested i put one on and i havnt messed with it since.

squirtn20
    What is the pressure unregulated?

bead
    What is the pressure unregulated?it depends how tight your pump is . to much and you are going to blow gaskets in your motor. im no expert you should ask someone that probably has more experiance . MPD , Jet Boat Performance , G&S, someone of that nature

HammerDown
    No regulator used here...1-line in, 2-dumps out...PSI never above 11, never below 8.
    Also, water is filtered before it enters the Block and Headers...2-separate filters.
    Been like this for years and years now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast