Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Place Diverter

Jetaholic
    Hey guys. I'm running a 1978 Marlin 18' jet boat with an Olds 455 and a Berk 12JC-A pump.
    This boat is getting a complete overhaul and I am in the process of overhauling the pump and motor.
    I'm wanting to install a Place Diverter, for the sole purpose of kicking up a rooster tail for show(gotta love rooster tails).
    My question is...
    In an 18' boat with an empty bow(bow used for storage, no fuel tank in the bow), will this change the handling characteristics drastically? I'm wanting to make sure that when I kick up the tail that the bow of the boat doesn't come up off the water on me.
    Jon

Taylorman
    It will lift the nose of the boat and free up the hull so not as much boat will be in the water. Get a hydraulic diverter, i love mine.
    www.hi-techperformance.com

Dominator Scott
    Hey guys. I'm running a 1978 Marlin 18' jet boat with an Olds 455 and a Berk 12JC-A pump.
    This boat is getting a complete overhaul and I am in the process of overhauling the pump and motor.
    I'm wanting to install a Place Diverter, for the sole purpose of kicking up a rooster tail for show(gotta love rooster tails).
    My question is...
    In an 18' boat with an empty bow(bow used for storage, no fuel tank in the bow), will this change the handling characteristics drastically? I'm wanting to make sure that when I kick up the tail that the bow of the boat doesn't come up off the water on me.
    Jon
    You should be fine. The diverter alone might not do the job though.
    I am running a 78 Sanger Super Jet with Berkley 12JG pump and I just installed a Place Diverter and awsn't too happy with the tail. Then some of the guys here told me to add a 4 degree shim along with the diverter if I wanted a bigger tail. Well I did exactly that and holy chit did it ever do the trick!!!!!! She throws a nice roost of water now and the handling is still all there.
    Personally I am an offshore boater and run a Sunsation 32 Dominator but the folks here have been giving me a crash course on jet boats so I can get my dads Sanger I am restoring all dialed in for him. They have been a wealth of knowledge.
    Here are a couple pics throwing the roost.

Jetaholic
    OK. Yeah I was worried that maybe it would kick the bow up really high...was thinking it would raise it up to where it usually is when you're getting on plane. That wouldn't be good.
    Out of curiosity, what's the difference in response between hydraulic and manual?
    Jon

Dominator Scott
    OK. Yeah I was worried that maybe it would kick the bow up really high...was thinking it would raise it up to where it usually is when you're getting on plane. That wouldn't be good.
    Out of curiosity, what's the difference in response between hydraulic and manual?
    Jon
    Can't give any advice on the hydraulic except its more $$$$$. I went with the manual diverter and it works just fine.

IMPATIENT 1
    Can't give any advice on the hydraulic except its more $$$$$. I went with the manual diverter and it works just fine.
    go manual! they're cheaper and easier to maintain, i've had both styles and will stay manual from now on. it nice to look down and see excatly where the divertor is positioned on the ratchet, the hyd. requires extra parts to run a trim gauge. just my .02
    if ya get a manual kit, pm me and i can show you how to knock planes outta the ski with it, just alittle mod to the nozzle,takes @20minutes and is alot easier to do with divertor already off.

Dominator Scott
    go manual! they're cheaper and easier to maintain, i've had both styles and will stay manual from now on. it nice to look down and see excatly where the divertor is positioned on the ratchet, the hyd. requires extra parts to run a trim gauge. just my .02
    if ya get a manual kit, pm me and i can show you how to knock planes outta the ski with it, just alittle mod to the nozzle,takes @20minutes and is alot easier to do with divertor already off.
    I am pulling my diverter this week to install a Droop Snoot so added tail height would interest me greatly. :rollside:

El Prosecutor
    Does this involve a grinder?

squirt'nmyload
    i have a hydraulic that i've been having problems with.....i was about to get the manual setup this week because of it.....i got a call from place diverter today saying they will replace the pump(5yr warranty) i decided to give it one more chance them i'm going manual.....not much can go wrong with that......my .02 btw...when it works i like the hydraulic...just flip a switch

460 jus getn it
    Yes they are. Here is my boat with a droop, 3* of wedge. Best investment i ever made.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...70DSC00399.JPG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast