Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ??? About after market ignition and carb spacers

1968Droptop
    Question I:
    As most of you know I'm building a heathy Ford to put into my 21' Daytona. I plan on throwing some Nitrous at it and had a few questions about which ignition module to use. I currently have a MSD 6AL, Billet dist, and a Blaster 3 coil. I know that MSD makes all the needed Nitrous delay unit's and safety stuff. But a buddy told me about the mallory MAA-685 HyFire VI Digital Ignition (http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku).
    It's got everything I need in one box, and a very attractive price. I just don't know anything about it, reliablilty, how it performs, etc. ? What do you all know about it ?
    Question II:
    I've got a Victor 460, and a 4500 series Dominator. I want to run a spacer, but there's not a lot to choose from. They offer a '4-hole' unit in 1", is that enough ? They have a 2" 'open' spacer and a 'cloverleaf' unit. What kind of luck have you had with which one ? Thanks guys !!!

Ken F
    Chris,
    Don't know anything about the mallory unit to offer any help. However, I do think you would want a "retard" type box.
    As Duane stated, the super-suckers are the cats ass for the victors! They really even out the flow down the runners. I've always had problems with the back two cyls running a little more lean than the others.
    One of these in a 2" version with a 2" spacer ought to work great.
    ken

Some Kind Of Monster
    I don't know anything about the Mallary unit, but if you decide to sell the MSD stuff, shoot me a PM

OverKill
    I have a Weiand tunnel ram and a singal 850 Holley. I was turning 4900 rpm with just the carb to the TR. I did some research on Wilson Manifolds Carb spacer. I asked them what amount of spacing would be good for my set up I got 1 1/2 from the tech. After mounting the spacer I got my rpms up to 5300 I was definatley impressed with out come.

1968Droptop
    I have a Weiand tunnel ram and a singal 850 Holley. I was turning 4900 rpm with just the carb to the TR. I did some research on Wilson Manifolds Carb spacer. I asked them what amount of spacing would be good for my set up I got 1 1/2 from the tech. After mounting the spacer I got my rpms up to 5300 I was definatley impressed with out come.
    Thanks guys for the answers. Where can I find the spacers ? Summit only has about 10 available for the Dom. carb., none of the above were listed.

Ken F
    Duane at HTP keeps them on the shelf.
    316-794-8616
    While you have him on the phone, talk to him about the "super-sucker" tho...
    Ken

OverKill
    WilsonManifolds.com

1968Droptop
    Duane at HTP keeps them on the shelf.
    316-794-8616
    While you have him on the phone, talk to him about the "super-sucker" tho...
    Ken
    Ken that SuperSucker looks like the chit. Do you have the 1" or the 2" ? I'm concerned about the 2" as it states "This spacer is made out of a special heat rejecting phenolic resin that is made for drag racing or very short competition use only". Do our boats run cool enough to use the resin style ? Remember I've got a covered engine.....

cfm
    If your Ford intake has a cloverleaf top(most Ford BB's are) then you'd be better off with a spacer designed for the cloverleaf style.
    HVH makes 1" and 2" Super Suckers for the cloverleafs in both plastic and aluminum. The 1" are in decent supply. I think they still have a few 2" aluminums around, last time I looked.
    BTW: If you are worried about the plastic, then the aluminum is the best choice. HP is exactly the same + you can drop kick it down your driveway with no chance of breakage. LOL.

Taylorman
    Stick with the MSD stuff, just buy an MSD retard box. Everyone can say what they want about MSD vs other brands, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but heres my opinion and how i see it. Have you been to the drag races and seen what kind of ignition systems, plug wires and coils they run on 100% of the top fuel cars? I think there is a reason for that. They don't run MSD cause its less expensive thats for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast