Anyone headr of this? Here's what's going on...
Truck is a 2006 Chevy 2500HD with a LBZ DUramax and Allison Trans. just under 7k miles...
About a month ago I noticed a small oil leak towards the rear of the engine, above the oil pan. I took the truck in to have it looked at and they told me the oil pan seal was leaking. I though to myself, "Self, I'm not a mechanic or an expert on the laws of gravity, but I wonder how oil can leak up?" and no, I haven't spent anytime inverted with the truck. I explained my non-expert observations to the service advisor and he assured me the leak was coming from the oil pan.
I brought the truck home and it sat for about a week before it was driven any more. The Mrs. then drove it about 100 miles one day and when she got home I noticed the oil residue was back in the same place. It wasn't dripping, but it was definately there. It is actually right above the the oil pan, on the passenger side of the motor, where where the bell housing connects.
I took it back to the dealer and dropped it off again. I got a call today and the advisor said it was normal "oil sweating" of the seal. I went down and picked it up. prior to leaving the lot, I saw that the area was almost clean before I left to come home. I explained my concern to the advisor and he said to bring it back if it actually "drips."
I drove home (about 15 miles) and when I got here, I noticed the area was "sweating" again. It wasn't dripping (yet), but there is dust coated oil in the same area.
So My quesion is...Has anyone heard of this diagnoses before "Sweating oils seals?"... I figure at this rate I should sweat through about a quart of oil every month or so.