Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 460 cylinder head question

b's sanger
    Anyone seen any significant horsepower/RPM gain switching from ported iron heads to the Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads or similar product in your jet boat. My valve sizes are the same now as are in the Edelbrocks.
    Thanks for your input in advance.

I made the switch to Edelbrocks. It's difficult to say the difference that just a head change would make. Too many variables. My motor was completely gone through and had a different cam installed etc.
    The only thing that's for sure is you'll knock about 70 lbs of weight off. I would think the rest would depend on what combination of parts you're running.

b's sanger
    I made the switch to Edelbrocks. It's difficult to say the difference that just a head change would make. Too many variables. My motor was completely gone through and had a different cam installed etc.
    The only thing that's for sure is you'll knock about 70 lbs of weight off. I would think the rest would depend on what combination of parts you're running.
    Did you upgrade the valves , do any porting or blending, or just bolt them on.

squirt'nmyload
    hey b, not to jack your thread but what ever happened with your trailer. did they ever step up??......brian

Ken F
    You don't state in your post which heads you have which will make a big difference in the outcome. In answer to your question a well ported/flowed set of irons can be made to flow as well or a little better than the edelbrock heads, however usually you get as much money in them as if you would have bought some aluminum heads to begin with. TFS heads are really good heads or Blue thunders are also. Both several notches above the Edelbrock units.
    As stated above, contact Paul Kane/LakesOnly about it..He'll steer you straight.
    Hope this helps.
    Ken F

Did you upgrade the valves , do any porting or blending, or just bolt them on.
    Bought the complete set with valves and springs. Nothing fancy, just bolted em on.

b's sanger
    hey b, not to jack your thread but what ever happened with your trailer. did they ever step up??......brian
    Nope trailer issue still pending. Have to research whether or not it would be cost effective timewise to fight it.
    Thanks for the replies guys.

e514jet
    B's sanger,
    Nice boat!!! I have a 78 sanger I'm working on. Building a 514 for mine using
    ported iron heads. Do your iron heads have the large diameter plug or small?
    if large what number and brand plug are your running? Please send me pics
    of your boat if you would. would like to see more of it. send to elarson64@comcast.net.........thanks B ....
    Eric

AzMandella
    I'm running the TFS 429/460 heads on my 514 and they outflow the E-brocks right out of the box.I polished the combustion chambers and the ex-ports but no major porting.

I'da probably gone with the TFS heads as well. When I bought my Edelbrocks they weren't making the TFS street/strips yet. It was pretty much Blue Thunder (too much $$$$$ for me). TFS A460 I think (once again too much $$$$$ for my lowly little budet), Ford Motorsports Cobrajet alumiums, and the Edelbrocks (Edelbrock hadn't even released their CJ style aluminums yet).
    Budget-wise the Edelbrocks were the only thing that fit my build/budget at the time.
    They're definitely not the greatest heads out there now, but I've got no complaints. For my 500 hp build they worked fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast