Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 460 cylinder head question

Ken F
    Dan,
    When I was looking for some Alum. Heads right after you were, I got lucky and was able to find my Bluethunders on racing junk at a steal, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to afford them either! I guess I was fortunate and found some that were in great shape.
    Man, this go-fasst chit is a never ending snowball!
    Ken F

AzMandella
    Blue Thunder's in my opinion are the best heads made for BB Fords.I will be getting a set for my new engine for my 21' Mandella.

FILUCKY
    Can someone tell me whats better about a BT head over a cast iron CJ or P.I. head? Other then being lighter. They get about the same flow #'s and make about the same power with equal porting ect.

AzMandella
    Your right you can get a set of factory CJ's to flow as good as a set of TFS"S or Blue Thunder's.But at what cost.I had a set of CJ's and when I figured the cost to port to achieve the flow #'s as a set of aluminum heads,convert to screwin studs,and a valve job.It was way cheaper to by the TFS's.Plus they have a reworked exhaust runner that's raised3/8's to 1/2" higher than stock that promotes flow.Now take the TFS's and put as much money in porting as you would a set of CJ's and compare the flow#'s.

e514jet
    has anyone thought of running C460 heads? they flow some awsome numbers
    and make great power......

AzMandella
    has anyone thought of running C460 heads? they flow some awsome numbers
    and make great power......
    Sure but they don't work well with production blocks.They recomend a 4.6"bore to accomadate the 2.45" intakes.You might be able to use a prodution block but you would have to notch the cylinders and then the int valve would be partialy shrouded by the cylinder wall.Which sort of defeats the use of larger valves.It also increases the chances of loosing a head gasket due to less sealing surface area.

FILUCKY
    I've ran both C460 and A460 heads on factory blocks at 4.440 bore. The A460 heads work fine but the C460 heads needed to run 1.8exh. and still was very close. I've gone back to the A460 heads and fill they are the way to go on a N/A motor up to 1000hp, over that go with the C460 heads. A460 heads use standered valve train, lifters ect. (very affordible for the amont of Hp.)where the C460 heads need shaft mount rockers($1500)and off set lifters. Also C460 heads come 100% bare and need thousands of dollars to setup. A460 heads can easly support 900+Hp with a single carb and no nitrous.

pce680
    Ray Franks,"Pro-filer" makes a "As Cast"Ford head C-460 that Flows alot better than the Ford or Edlebrock heads

FILUCKY
    C460 heads will run ya $5-10,000 depending on how much work you have done and what quaility parts you put in them. I believe there is a very repital guy over on www.460ford.com that has P.I. heads fully ported flowing around 380CFM for under 2K. That will blow away a BT for the money, easily!

LakesOnly
    Ray Franks,"Pro-filer" makes a "As Cast"Ford head C-460 that Flows alot better than the Ford or Edlebrock headsPeople I know that have worked with the RF Profiler C-460 replacement head tell me that it does NOT flow what they claim and that it requires more work than the original out-of-the-box Ford C-460 to get it up to snuff.
    That aside...to address another aspect in this thread: E514Jet, flow means very little in regards to, "this head flows the most, therefore it's the best one to run." Bullschitt. It's more about the overall engine package/combination, and a head that provdies the proper level of flow for a given application is what is more important. To say "Head A flows better than Head B" means little unless we are "racing flowbenches," ie trying to see whose bench can register the highest flow number.
    A C-460 head on a little ol' 466/472 (if possible) Ford jet boat motor would be a major mismatch in componentry unless one was running a C impeller and hooking their motor around 7500 rpm or so.
    While some heads are definitely higher in the performance food chain than others, it is also true that some heads are better suited for certain engine applications than others. Switching from well ported iron 460 heads to ported EdelBROCK's will offer some room for power improvement....personally, given the option of stepping up to aluminum pieces I opt for spending a few hundred bucks more and getting heads that offer way more potential performance improvement relative to money spent.
    The Blue Thunder's are some of the more nicely finished aftermarket cylinder heads I have seen, including such features such as Time-Sert metal threaded inserts in every threaded bolt hole, quality of casting, etc. Also, the spacing on the intake & exhaust valves are spread apart a little more than OEM Ford spec's and this allows for a much larger choice of intake/exhaust valve options, thereby allowing a more refined head set up for given motor while using shelf pistons with standard pierce points.
    B's Sanger, if you have headers with port flanges for oem BBF ports, then the E'BROCK's are one option, as are the Motorsport SCJ heads, two different BT heads and of course the TFS 429/460 heads. Any of those will essentially be a bolt on replacement to your current setup and allow for performance gains while retaining your current induction and exhaust systems. Which one you choose depends largely on what you have for an engine.
    LO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12