Thread: Berk question

67weimann
    When I was out there Mon I got an occasional vibration. Upon inspection of the drive shaft, I have a little play in the input shaft. I can slightly wiggle the driveline on the input shaftof the pump. BTW I have NEW u-joints.
    IS this most likely a pump issue like the thrust bearing going out?
    it's Berk 12JB pump

I just took out a pump that vibrated a lttle but it made a slight gear drive type sound on and off and I think the shaft was bent since it only rubbed one side of the impellor.

victorfb
    you need to inspect it closer. remove the driveline and see if the splines are worn on either the pump shaft or drive line itself. remove the hand hole cover and see if you can feel any movement other than spinning the pump shaft. check the drive line itself since you say it has new u-joints, are they the correct u-joints? and check for play/movement in the driveline itself? your movement is coming from somewere obviously, but from were is another thing all together. are you getting water seeping fast through the packing glands? id start checking everything. a vibration is a darn good sign that something is getting ready to let go. you may have just caught it in time before you start spending alot more cash.

67weimann
    you need to inspect it closer. remove the driveline and see if the splines are worn on either the pump shaft or drive line itself. remove the hand hole cover and see if you can feel any movement other than spinning the pump shaft. check the drive line itself since you say it has new u-joints, are they the correct u-joints? and check for play/movement in the driveline itself? your movement is coming from somewere obviously, but from were is another thing all together. are you getting water seeping fast through the packing glands? id start checking everything. a vibration is a darn good sign that something is getting ready to let go. you may have just caught it in time before you start spending alot more cash.
    yeah, I was gonna pull it apart today but got tyed up. so tomorrow she is going to get torn down. Yes they are the correct u-joints and installed correctly. The play is in the pump so it HAS to come apart. We don't want to start another "sunk the boat" thread now do we?

SmokinLowriderSS
    Or another "Ground up my suction piece and ruined my crankshaft" thread. :cry:
    If the play is lateral (90* to the direction of the shaft) I'm concerned about the thrust bearing. There ought to be just the tiniest bit of play there as it IS a roller bearing and cannot be "0"-tolerance and still spin, but it sure can't be much. and I cannot get any play out of mine with the bowl on, at least, so tiny an ammount that it is imposible for me to quantify.
    If the coupler is sloppy on the input shaft, there could be worn badly too, but again, there HAS to be a tiny ammount of slop there as it is a slip-fitting and again is not pressed-on "0"-tolerance, but again, not so much slop for it to be any ammount "off-center" to let it vibrate from out-of-balance condition.

67weimann
    Alright, pulled it apart today and here's what I found. First I try to jiggle it with it completely bolted together. It had a little play. Pulled the bowl and I can move the shaft maybe 1/4" play with the bowl removed. I pulled the front bearing cover and the bearing is there all in one piece but no grease in the bearing itself and I grease it before each outing...I can also move the roller bearings without anything else moving. Is the thrust bearing going out?

Duane HTP
    Yes, it is!

watergun4u
    well, from what you say, i would say it is the thurst bearing going away, as well as the bowl bushings,if you replace the bearing, make sure that you put it in right, cause there is a right and a wrong way to do it, if you put it in wrong, it will get no grease when you try to grease it, there is a notch in the outter housing of the bearing, it has to go in line with the grease fitting on the housing!!!!!! not a hard job to do, just time!

67weimann
    make sure that you put it in right, cause there is a right and a wrong way to do it
    That's why I plan to have it done :crossx: (complete rebuild).

watergun4u
    since you are going to take it in and have it done, you should by the kit of parts first, get it from REX MARINE they have complete kits, that way you will save alot, cause you will have no mark up on parts, labor is bad enough, well atleast it is out here, anywhere from 60, to 90 a hour shop time,,, its not that hard to do, you can do it your self!!!!!! just a thought, to bad your so far away , i could do it for you no problem, and alot cheaper too! but oh well!! good luck! :220v: