Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: steering options

21rayson
    ok here's the hull it's a 21 v-drive raysoncraft. i'm at the point of which type of steering to use. a calgo set up or a twin cable rack and pinion. what set up should i use. i know the questions everybody might is how fast am i going to go, i don't know yet? motor is a 427 with aries pistons and aluminum rods, solid roller cam,alumunium heads, twin turbo with a single carb and a intercooler.turbo 400 trans, 8 degree strut.prop dont know yet. i have a 12x15 and a 11 1/2x 15. for starters. any input would be great.

A.SNEED
    throw that twin cable push pull crap in the trash calgo is the only why to go what gear you running and how much approx hp will you be making?

You'll find that Calgo or open chain and cable, pulley type steering will be much more responsive and positive in this type of boat. I wouldn't even consider rack and pinion like Morse type if you're starting from scratch, although there's lot of them out there running. They work ok but just are a bit sloppy compared to cable, pulley type steering.

A.SNEED
    isnt that what i said

A.SNEED:
    isnt that what i said reinforcement sneed, reinforcement...

A.SNEED
    thats why i have stuck by you so many yrs lol

GN117 Big Dawg
    Must be an echo in here! Aluminum rods??? Duck there may be shrapenell!

A.SNEED
    low rpm eng should be fine

21rayson
    ok thanks for the info sounds like the calgo system is i'm going to go with.eek alumunim rods iknow but thats how i got the short block with atleast they ars new. thanks all.

Infomaniac
    I put the Seastar manual hydraulic steering on the Cougar. Helm, lines and 1 cylinder.
    It had the single Morse cable deal on it. Not safe enough at way over 100 MPH.
    Saves the rigging nightmare associated with the chain/cable deals. For my application anyway. No bulkhead within reach under the dash and tunnels to deal with on each side of the stringers.
    I would definately use the chain/cable setup if you are willing to install it.
    [ February 11, 2003, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast