Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: steering options

GofastRacer
    21rayson:
    ok thanks for the info sounds like the calgo system is i'm going to go with.eek alumunim rods iknow but thats how i got the short block with atleast they ars new. thanks all. Wise decision!.. wink

Snowboat
    What is a Calgo setup? Also, has anyone used Ferrea valves, instead of Manley?

DUCKY
    I have rigged a couple v-drives with dual opposing rotary systems (like those on HP outboards). I think my wholesale supplies carries the Rotech systems which are superior to the Morse units. Once you get them adjusted right, it works very well. I always wanted to do a hydraulic system, but never had the $$$. You guys are right in saying it's not as responsive, due to the fact it's 3 to 3.5 turns lock to lock, versus the Calgo setup in my boat which is like 1.5!

DUCKY
    Snowboat:
    What is a Calgo setup? Also, has anyone used Ferrea valves, instead of Manley? Calgo is a type of steering that uses two stainless "wire rope" type cables in a sheath. It has a small, round helm at the dash, and the cables usually go down both sides of the boat, and the sheath ends at the stringer, then the raw cables attach to the quadrant. There is a plate on the outside of each stringer with a threaded "nut" that the cables go through that provides preload adjustment. Clear as mud right?
    [ February 11, 2003, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: DUCKY ]

schiada96
    I'm going to buck the trend. A morse rotary system with a push pull setup should be fine and easy to rig if your not going real fast. I believe you can still get parts, right Rexone. But I think the parts are getting expensive.

21rayson
    it's funny that someone said something about hydrolic steering cause originally thats was what i was considering with out board steering.but i have come to the conclusion that the calgo is the way to.

Snowboat
    Thanks, Ducky. I got it, sounds like a similar, but more modern setup than the cables running down one stringer.

schiada96:
    I'm going to buck the trend. A morse rotary system with a push pull setup should be fine and easy to rig if your not going real fast. I believe you can still get parts, right Rexone. But I think the parts are getting expensive. The older Command 2 rotary parts are no longer. Replacement parts for the later style Command 290 are available and really not appreciably more expensive than they have been. They work adequately in boats that don't go real fast but are not as responsive as either Calgo or open cable because of the slack between the cable jacket and the cable and also in the rotary type helm.
    Personally in this type of boat I don't like a steering system that doesn't react to a 1/4" movement of the steering wheel. The faster you go the more critical that control becomes. If it's a boat that goes 60-70 that's one thing but if it's going 80-100+ that's a different animal IMO and requires better steering and more precise control.

DUCKY
    Rexone:
    schiada96:
    I'm going to buck the trend. A morse rotary system with a push pull setup should be fine and easy to rig if your not going real fast. I believe you can still get parts, right Rexone. But I think the parts are getting expensive. The older Command 2 rotary parts are no longer. Replacement parts for the later style Command 290 are available and really not appreciably more expensive than they have been. They work adequately in boats that don't go real fast but are not as responsive as either Calgo or open cable because of the slack between the cable jacket and the cable and also in the rotary type helm.
    Personally in this type of boat I don't like a steering system that doesn't react to a 1/4" movement of the steering wheel. The faster you go the more critical that control becomes. If it's a boat that goes 60-70 that's one thing but if it's going 80-100+ that's a different animal IMO and requires better steering and more precise control. That's why I have used the dual cable systems. With opposed cables, you can preload them to remove any slop. But, yes they still react slower.

GofastRacer
    Personally, if I'm going to go fast!, I'll stick with the plain old simple tried and trued cable system!!, enough said!!.. wink

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast