Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: steering options

Infomaniac
    Rexone:
    schiada96:
    I'm going to buck the trend. A morse rotary system with a push pull setup should be fine and easy to rig if your not going real fast. I believe you can still get parts, right Rexone. But I think the parts are getting expensive. The older Command 2 rotary parts are no longer. Replacement parts for the later style Command 290 are available and really not appreciably more expensive than they have been. They work adequately in boats that don't go real fast but are not as responsive as either Calgo or open cable because of the slack between the cable jacket and the cable and also in the rotary type helm.
    Personally in this type of boat I don't like a steering system that doesn't react to a 1/4" movement of the steering wheel. The faster you go the more critical that control becomes. If it's a boat that goes 60-70 that's one thing but if it's going 80-100+ that's a different animal IMO and requires better steering and more precise control. precise control = instantaneous steering? I choose the slow response so I would not get thrown out at 130 if I moved the wheel 1/4".
    Did I read that right?

Infomaniac
    GofastRacer:
    Personally, if I'm going to go fast!, I'll stick with the plain old simple tried and trued cable system!!, enough said!!.. wink I put my MAC 12" crescent wrench on the rudder and it will not budge. Did not want it moving side to side in the prop wash.

GofastRacer
    Got to agree with that!.. eek!

GofastRacer
    Infomaniac:
    GofastRacer:
    Personally, if I'm going to go fast!, I'll stick with the plain old simple tried and trued cable system!!, enough said!!.. wink I put my MAC 12" crescent wrench on the rudder and it will not budge. Did not want it moving side to side in the prop wash. Hmmm, if you hold the wheel, mine don't move!

schiada96
    I don't know what you are talking about slop in the system I have a twin cable set up one pulling and one pushing- no slop. Schiada is still rigging them this way well at least a month ago.

Infomaniac
    Do not get me wrong.
    I am speaking only about the manual hydraulic system that I used.
    Check valve system prevents pressure signal feedback to the helm (pump) Also no real feel to the wheel. Takes getting used to.
    [ February 11, 2003, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

A.SNEED
    YEA THE SCHIADAS ARE STILL BUILT WITH A FAIR AMOUNT OF OLD SCHOOL TECH BEING THAT MOST OF THEM DONT RUN AS FAST AS THE RAYSONS THE PUSH PULL SYSTEMS WORK FINE IN THERE BOATS MOST OF NOT ALL V DRIVE BOATS THAT ARE DRAG OR CIRCLE BOATS THAT ARE BUILT FOR SPEED OR COMP HAVE THE RIGHT STERRING IN THEM IN ITS NOT WHAT SCHIADA USES.

schiada96
    Sneed I've seen more than a few 105 to 110 mph boats built at schiada in the past few years I think their rigging is second to none. I think they still hold their own at most events they run at. There is a certian red boat with a donavin twin turbo motor that I think has done pretty well at a few circle races.

A.SNEED
    lol yea its pretty fast although it does have some handling issues those boats to tend to handle better with a skier holding them down at least i got your attn lol

21rayson
    now i know most of the race ski boats have gone to i/o but whats left of the v-drive ski boats that i have seen at the races like schiada i have seen the twin push pull style looks like it could be the rack style and some that has hydrolic steering and they all had outboard rudders. but on the other hand most of the hallet vectors had either cable or calgo set up. most of both thoes boats would run a 100 mph at least.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast