Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do I buy my pool table for my river house?

voodoomedman
    I have one in BH that I might be tempted to sell for $1,500. It has very little use and is a very nice Olunhauser (SP?). I believe it is 4.5 by 8? I don't think it is 4.5 by 9. Anyhow...it is still at my old house out there as I do not have room for it in the new house. 3/4 or 1 inch slate. If you move it of course you will have to refelt it as it has to be broken down. I think there are three pieces to the slate itself.
    Buy this. Olhausen is a great table. Brunswick and Olhausen are arguably the two best tables. It's got to be a 4x8 and 1 inch Italian Slate. Three pieces. Easy to move as the frame is assembled in the factory so you just remove the legs if need be and then the rails and slate. Find someone to refelt it and they will probably make sure it's level too and do the wax and stuff for you. Just ask Dilligaf the model and check with an Olhausen retailer for their price for that model.

voodoomedman
    7K? What was it a gold crown or something?
    RD
    For that much it's got to be one of those tables with all the intricate hand carved details and solid exotic wood. Table will play the same as the $2000 model.

voodoomedman
    I paid between $4-$5K for it. If I had room I would move it over. SinCal has it in his house which he bought from me.
    Thanks and you are right.
    No prob. I've got an Olhausen in my living room here in So Cal. No room for one in Havasu. It is a bichen table. Nobody can believe how fast and well it plays.

RiverDave
    I'm not sure where you guys are getting your prices from, but god damn that's alot of money for a home table. I was quoted 5400 bucks for Olhausen's commercial grade table at the dealer down here.. That's pretty much their top of the line table as far as playabillity, and durabillity.
    http://www.olhausenbilliards.com/ima...ollarge/31.jpg
    While they certainly are definately up there in quality, they don't have shit on a gold crown. Gold Crown's are Brunswick's commercial grade offering, and they play better, and will last several lifetimes. Point in fact one of the most (if not the most) desired tables by players is a Gold Crown 1, the original from the 60's. Gold Crown IV's (newest series) can range anywhere from 8500.00 (used once for the women's tour locally) up to 14K.. As with anything though if you shop hard enough you can find the deals. I was looking around for one, and have found them all the way down to 4K.
    I ended up buying a Murrey Pro (retails for 8 grand new) used for 1200.00 bucks, with rails done by Ernesto (straight cut pockets at 2 1/4 with no shims only facings) Simonis 860, and setup by Steve Leistiko (one of the best table mechanics in the world) with a light included for 2 grand.
    I couldn't imagine paying 4 - 5K for a home table, unless that thing had some serious exotic woods in it, or was more of a work of art then a "players" table.
    Incidentally Voodooman, top mechanics don't use "wax" if the table is going to be setup and in place for awhile they actually use Bondo (car bondo) to fill tiny gaps in between the slates, and sand them back down smooth. They will also fill the screw holes with bondo, but put an agent in the hole 1st so that the bondo can't adhere, that way later when they have to take it apart they can just pop that bondo "plug" out of the hole and get to the screws. Those are typically under the rails though so it's pretty much inconsequential. Just some players don't like those holes not being filled.
    Wax works well, but it's soft. The instant a ball catches a little air and lands on that portion of the table you'll end up with "divots" along those wax lines causing an inaccurate playing field.
    RD

voodoomedman
    I'm not sure where you guys are getting your prices from, but god damn that's alot of money for a home table. I was quoted 5400 bucks for Olhausen's commercial grade table at the dealer down here.. That's pretty much their top of the line table as far as playabillity, and durabillity.
    While they certainly are definately up there in quality, they don't have shit on a gold crown. Gold Crown's are Brunswick's commercial grade offering, and they play better, and will last several lifetimes. Point in fact one of the most (if not the most) desired tables by players is a Gold Crown 1, the original from the 60's. Gold Crown IV's (newest series) can range anywhere from 8500.00 (used once for the women's tour locally) up to 14K.. As with anything though if you shop hard enough you can find the deals. I was looking around for one, and have found them all the way down to 4K.
    I ended up buying a Murrey Pro (retails for 8 grand new) used for 1200.00 bucks, with rails done by Ernesto (straight cut pockets at 2 1/4 with no shims only facings) Simonis 860, and setup by Steve Leistiko (one of the best table mechanics in the world) with a light included for 2 grand.
    I couldn't imagine paying 4 - 5K for a home table, unless that thing had some serious exotic woods in it, or was more of a work of art then a "players" table.
    Incidentally Voodooman, top mechanics don't use "wax" if the table is going to be setup and in place for awhile they actually use Bondo (car bondo) to fill tiny gaps in between the slates, and sand them back down smooth. They will also fill the screw holes with bondo, but put an agent in the hole 1st so that the bondo can't adhere, that way later when they have to take it apart they can just pop that bondo "plug" out of the hole and get to the screws. Those are typically under the rails though so it's pretty much inconsequential. Just some players don't like those holes not being filled.
    Wax works well, but it's soft. The instant a ball catches a little air and lands on that portion of the table you'll end up with "divots" along those wax lines causing an inaccurate playing field.
    RD
    Shnikees RD. No wonder everyone says RD Sux
    I'm sure your an excellent player and know a bunch about the technicalities of the game and the setup and how the tables play but were all just a bunch of recreational home players. I don't care how well that black table plays it would not look good in my living room with my nice looking furniture in my nice looking house. My Eclipse probably plays just as well as the St. Leone but isn't solid maple with intricately carved detail all over accounting for all the extra thousands. The guys that setup my table did a great job but I'm sure it would be really expensive to have some bondo guy come out, especially when I don't exactly attempt Masse shots with kids and curio cabinets around. Not to mention I don't want to screw up my cloth.
    I totally respect your opinion but right now you sound like the DCB guys or the Skater guys. You know the ones that think we should all own 200k cats with twin screws even though we have families and need the V's with room to roam and are more than happy to cruise around at 45 mph and top out at 70. With the exception of Havasu and maybe a couple of other places I can take the boat and be the fastest guy on the water or at least in the top 5%. Same with the pool table, most people don't have the luxury of being able to have a pool table in their home and of those that do who has an Olhausen or better?

h2oski2fast
    There goes RD acting like he knows something about this subject.

Todd969
    RD
    Well look at me, I had 1 of the correct responses
    FYI: my table in Havasu with set up was less than $2,500, New. It's as solid as any other and pretty too.
    Notice I said my experience has been great. I have 3 piece 1" slates that are bondo filled. My set up guy is Pablo Munoz and "some" say he is also one of the best techs.

TrojanDan
    Buy this. Olhausen is a great table. Brunswick and Olhausen are arguably the two best tables. It's got to be a 4x8 and 1 inch Italian Slate. Three pieces. Easy to move as the frame is assembled in the factory so you just remove the legs if need be and then the rails and slate. Find someone to refelt it and they will probably make sure it's level too and do the wax and stuff for you. Just ask Dilligaf the model and check with an Olhausen retailer for their price for that model.
    I'll second that. I bought my Olhausen here in LA out of the recycler and paid $1650. It was in excellent condition. I paid "In the Pocket" (an Olhausen dealer) up on McCulloch Blvd in Havasu $75 to professionally set it up and level it (including the bondo). They did all the work, I didn't have to mess with it.

andy01
    Man there is some great info in this thread.
    Trojan Dan do you happen to know the name of the dealer?

voodoomedman
    Man there is some great info in this thread.
    Trojan Dan do you happen to know the name of the dealer?
    From Olhausen's websites' dealer locator
    In the Pocket Pro Shop
    2159 McCulloch Blvd.
    LAKE HAVASU CITY, AZ
    (928) 680-9119
    slawrence@rraz.net
    Find out the model from Dilligaf and then get pricing. If he has a fancy table it may be a good deal and if not then maybe you can talk turkey. Also check their pricing against some SoCal table shops. Prices vary. For instance I bought my Eclipse from Gameroom Gallery in Rancho and it was $2400 setup including Aramith balls a couple of custom ques, chalk, cover, bridge qeue etc. I was in Billiards and Barstools the other day browsing and my same table was on Sale for like 2800 and regularly was like 3 g's or more. So they were kind of expensive. Now my table is a veneer table. Basically with the Olhausen though only the frame is veneer. The rails, curtains, legs and such are all solid. The more you spend you are just getting into a solid frame and more ornate finishes. I don't really know if my installer used wax or bondo but I don't think it makes a huge difference unless your a pro. However, now knowing I would definately ask for it. My guys helper said his guy was the best in the area . I will tell you what though My in-laws bought an Imperial. Those are in a hundred different pieces and it took them about as much time to setup as it took my guys to setup the Olhausen. Shows you my guys were making sure it was perfect. Also when amateur can tell the difference in how the table plays then it's a difference to look for. There table probably looks nicer but mine plays better. Oh and the best thing is you can have sex on it and not damage the table.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast