Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats up with ebay these days??????

Riverless
    I received this message in my Ebay "My Messages" a couple of weeks ago...
    **Online Safety: Protect Yourself from Spoof (Phishing) Email and Web sites & Fake Second Chance Offers***
    Hi, this is Matt Halprin again, and I manage the Global Trust and Safety Policy team at eBay. One of my team's core responsibilities is to help you better understand how to stay safe when buying and selling online. With the busy holiday season upon us, we think it's an important time to remind everyone of the safe practices and good judgment that you should use all year round.
    All of us at eBay are committed to preserving the safety of our marketplace and rely on you, the community, to help in this regard. As the Internet has evolved and grown so have the trading opportunities for all of us. Unfortunately, this success has also attracted a number of bad players who prey on unsuspecting Internet users. We don't want that to happen to you.
    Below are important safety tips that can help keep your accounts and personal information more secure and help guard against fraud, including spoof (also called phishing) emails and websites, and fake second chance offers.
    * Never pay with Western Union or Money Gram. eBay strongly encourages its members to avoid using instant cash wire transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. It's against eBay's Safe Payments Policy for a seller to request payment via these methods as they've proven to be unsafe when paying someone the buyer doesn't know.
    * Check My Messages to verify the authenticity of eBay emails. Any email eBay sends you about your account or requesting personal information will also be in My Messages. Before responding to an eBay email asking for information about your account or requesting personal information, verify it's authentic by checking My Messages. If it's not in My Messages, it's a fake email. If you receive a suspicious email that looks like it's from eBay or PayPal, please forward it to spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com. We will respond (usually within minutes) to tell you whether or not the email is authentic.
    * Always verify Second Chance Offers. Sending fake Second Chance Offers is a common trick used by fraudsters. If you receive an email with a Second Chance Offer for an item you recently bid on, please check your My Messages inbox (located in My eBay) on the eBay site to make sure the offer is authentic. If it appears in My Messages with the title "eBay Second Chance Offer for Item...," it's authentic. If the Second Chance Offer does not appear in My Messages, or appears with a different title, it is not legitimate and should be ignored. Help us fight this, by reporting these fakes to spoof@ebay.com.
    * Download eBay Toolbar and PayPal SafetyBar. eBay Toolbar includes Account Guard which indicates when you are on a legitimate eBay or PayPal site, and alerts you when you are on a known fraudulent site. PayPal's SafetyBar detects fraudulent emails in your email program and puts them in the spam folder.
    * Monitor your account regularly for suspicious activity. Prevent problems by staying alert and catching any suspicious activity early. We recommend that you log into your eBay and PayPal accounts frequently to ensure that all the transactions listed are legitimate.
    * Be suspicious of any email that requests personal information. Be cautious of other emails that request you to click a link and submit your financial or personal information. If in doubt, call or contact the institution first to verify the authenticity of the email. Do not click on any links in this type of email if you cannot verify it is authentic. Only enter your financial information on secure Web sites. Check that a Web site is secure by looking for the closed lock symbol near the bottom of your browser window. And, of course, use a payment method such as PayPal, which lets you pay without sharing your financial information with the person receiving your money. PayPal also covers you 100% against unauthorized money sent from your account.
    You can find out the latest information on safety, security and identity theft protection by visiting the PayPal Identity Protection pages and the eBay Security & Resolution Center.
    We are always available for you if you have any questions or suggestions on how to make eBay safer.
    Sincerely,
    Matt Halprin
    Vice President, eBay Global Trust & Safety Policy

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    It's a scam, as it happened to me today. This is what I got when I replyed.
    Hello,
    Let me explain what are the steps that you must follow to start and complete this transaction. You have the opportunity to purchase this item(the same Item in the auction) at your bid price of US $1,000.00. The ex winner had some problems and couldn't handle the situation (he told me something about his daughter being sick), so following eBay's suggestion, I've contacted you this way. The deal will go strictly according to eBay's rules and policy regarding to this second chance offer- to start the official transaction, I need to know your details:
    Full name :
    Full address:
    eBay User Id:
    Phone number:
    As soon as I have them I'll start the official procedure, and eBay will notify you about this. You'll also receive important guidelines + instructions from them (please go through them exactly). The delivery is Free.
    I'll handle the shipping, so this will be free of charge for you. I am willing to deduct you with the fee for handling the payment procedure. Also, a refund policy will be included.
    Looking forward to hearing from you!
    Thanks!
    In a message dated 25.10.2006 18:34:33 E. Europe Standard Time, jeffser
    So I understand that the deal fell through? If so what is going on with the sale of this car
    You don't want to know what my next reply was.
    Thats funny because I got the same letter on another iten last week:idea: i wish I could see one of these bastards I would break his arm for trying to screw honest people

I got an email ebay question yesterday which I often do. But this one came into the rexmarine email box, not my registered email with ebay. So I take a look at the link to the "respond now" box and its path isn't one to ebay. This is the link that asks you to login before answering the question. It's a scam attempting to con you out of your login and gain access to your ebay account. Typically these scammers wait for a period of user inactivity, list a bunch of shit under your account, take payments, never ship anything and you get left holding the bag, along with ruined ebay feedback rating.
    Ebay's getting tougher as these theives figure more and more angles to scam ya.

ratso
    If they aren't "going through" ebay, then how the fukk do they get your email address to send you these fake second chance offers???

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    If they aren't "going through" ebay, then how the fukk do they get your email address to send you these fake second chance offers???
    thats what I want to know

Well in my case it was a question. I have Rex Marine listed in our auctions. They simply go to the Rex website and emailed it.
    Not sure on the second chance offers.

Howie Feltersnatch
    eBay has had it.

ratso
    eBay has had it.
    I hope so... As much as these people make, their security sucks. :yuk:
    Too bad some of these con artists can't be tracked down.

eek-a-RAT
    friggen eBAY for ya, they have em on craigs too.
    i supposedly have a cashiers check on the way for a boat im tryin to get rid of.
    how do i make sure its legit before shipping the boat via transport?
    do i let the check sit in the bank for how many weeks.
    i told the buyer he may have to wait up to a month before i try & ship it to him. he's in minnesota, while im in california, which leads me to this being a scam. why is this guy in minnesota lookin @ boats in california.

squirt'nmyload
    friggen eBAY for ya, they have em on craigs too.
    i supposedly have a cashiers check on the way for a boat im tryin to get rid of.
    how do i make sure its legit before shipping the boat via transport?
    do i let the check sit in the bank for how many weeks.
    i told the buyer he may have to wait up to a month before i try & ship it to him. he's in minnesota, while im in california, which leads me to this being a scam. why is this guy in minnesota lookin @ boats in california.
    just think....would you send a cashiers check to someone you didn't know for something......hell no!!!!! i wouldn't. these scammers need to dissapear. http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...giljotiini.gif

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast