Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: diesel

Run_em_Hard
    So ho wcome my 89 Pete with a 3406 and 450 hp gets 6.5 mpg, and the 05 Pete with a c-15 and 430hp only gets 4.2 mpg. Seems we are burning 30% more fuel per mile, and they think we are polluting less.
    Run 19 trucks, and we are in the proccess of rebuilding a 91 Pete with the old technology and better mileage because of the cost.
    Jerry
    Part of the reason that you get less milage with the newer vehicles is because of the emissons.

Back Forty
    It's all in the "how it's marketed"
    Diesel takes less refining than gas so your actually paying for more energy content...

73beast
    So ho wcome my 89 Pete with a 3406 and 450 hp gets 6.5 mpg, and the 05 Pete with a c-15 and 430hp only gets 4.2 mpg. Seems we are burning 30% more fuel per mile, and they think we are polluting less.
    Run 19 trucks, and we are in the proccess of rebuilding a 91 Pete with the old technology and better mileage because of the cost.
    Jerry
    I know what you mean, i drive a company tractor with a ISM motor that has an EGR valve--5.5 mpg. Same motor without EGR --6.7-7.2 mpg........

BoatPI
    Ths ARCI in Havasu just atarted carrying diesel at $2.33 a gallon

Jordy
    Part of the reason that you get less milage with the newer vehicles is because of the emissons.
    Wait until Jan. 1st 2007 when the next stage of emissions hits. There is a reason the Dodge is going to a 6.4 Cummins and the Ford is dropping the 6.0 in favor of a 6.6 twin turbo. Emissions are clamping down so hard they have to increase displacement to make the same HP and still pass.
    As far as the question regarding the Cat 3406 versus the new ACCERT C series, yeah, good luck with all that. Cummins and Detroit went with an EGR engine. Cat decided to just add more fuel and another turbo for higher EGT's and a "more complete fuel" burn, then put on a big campaign about the EGR engines that recirculated exhaust having higher EGT's. I've yet to talk to a new Cat owner who is happy with the new ACCERT engines. Most claim a 25+% loss in mileage, oh, and lots more heat. Then again, recirculating 10-15% of the exhaust creates way more heat than adding another turbo. Mmmmmmkay. Yeah, Cat burned a couple trucks to the ground in the early stages, but by that time they had too much money tied up not to make it work. :notam:

Hardly Satisfied
    ok so why is diesel more expensive. Its less refined than gas. It makes no sence.
    any ideas
    because they the oil companys like to rip us off

Wild Horses
    ok so why is diesel more expensive. Its less refined than gas. It makes no sence.
    any ideas
    That right there is part of the reason, When gas is refined you get a lot of byproducts that can be sold at a higher price to offset the gas price. Diesel less byproducts. :yuk:

axkiker
    It's all in the "how it's marketed"
    Diesel takes less refining than gas so your actually paying for more energy content...
    I think that hit the nail on the head.

AzMandella
    That right there is part of the reason, When gas is refined you get a lot of byproducts that can be sold at a higher price to offset the gas price. Diesel less byproducts. :yuk:
    BINGO!!! we have a winner.That is the main reason diesel is more expensive.There are alot of products that are made from the by-products of a drum of oil other than gas.And there are fewer by-products when making diesel so that is the only revenue generated from that particular 50 gal of oil.

havaduner
    Boi diesel does not have to be 100% bio to be considered bio diesel. We use bio diesel at work for the trucks and equipment and it only contains 10% actual bio diesel. I asked the fuel guy WTF is the point in that? he said it just a show for the public to think companies are doing something for the environment when they see the "we use Bio Diesel grown by Indiana farmers" stickers on out trucks. Kinda ironic that I work for a Logging company (doing something good for the environment LOL).
    Yeah, I figured it was something like that. 10-20% bidiesel, more like filler than anything else.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast