Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: diesel

havaduner
    Wait until Jan. 1st 2007 when the next stage of emissions hits. There is a reason the Dodge is going to a 6.4 Cummins and the Ford is dropping the 6.0 in favor of a 6.6 twin turbo. Emissions are clamping down so hard they have to increase displacement to make the same HP and still pass.
    As far as the question regarding the Cat 3406 versus the new ACCERT C series, yeah, good luck with all that. Cummins and Detroit went with an EGR engine. Cat decided to just add more fuel and another turbo for higher EGT's and a "more complete fuel" burn, then put on a big campaign about the EGR engines that recirculated exhaust having higher EGT's. I've yet to talk to a new Cat owner who is happy with the new ACCERT engines. Most claim a 25+% loss in mileage, oh, and lots more heat. Then again, recirculating 10-15% of the exhaust creates way more heat than adding another turbo. Mmmmmmkay. Yeah, Cat burned a couple trucks to the ground in the early stages, but by that time they had too much money tied up not to make it work. :notam:
    I was told Ford is having a lot of issues with this new engine....

citifiedfarmkid
    There is one more reason for higher cost for diesel. The northeast and I believe some other areas use diesel to heat there homes, which creates more demand this time of year. However, I really don't know much. I just heard that a few years back and it surprised me. In the kansas area, we use propane, natural gas, wood and electric. :boxed:

STV_Keith
    There is a reason the Dodge is going to a 6.4 Cummins
    Dang Duramax guys - that's a 6.7l Cummins, not 6.4. :crossx:

Jordy
    Dang Duramax guys - that's a 6.7l Cummins, not 6.4. :crossx:
    OK, so they're going even bigger than I last heard to overcome the stranglehold that the new emissions tier will be creating. Dang Cummins guys...

soupersonic
    OK, so they're going even bigger than I last heard to overcome the stranglehold that the new emissions tier will be creating. Dang Cummins guys...
    Nah your just dislexic the ford is getting the 6.4
    The cummin is going to have an egr and a particulate trap, w/e that is.Had any experience with those?

Jordy
    Nah your just dislexic the ford is getting the 6.4
    No, not dyslexic, just don't pay that much attention to the constant engine games that Ford plays. Should have just stuck with the 7.3 and been done with it.

Zaairman
    I was told Ford is having a lot of issues with this new engine....
    Nope. The reason Ford has taken so long to get this motor out is because of extensive testing, and they're actually teaching their mechanics how to work on these ones.

soupersonic
    No, not dyslexic, just don't pay that much attention to the constanst engine games that Ford plays. Should have just stuck with the 7.3 and been done with it.
    In hindsight, it wasnt a bright move was it .Had any experience with these particulate traps coming out on the new trucks?

Jordy
    In hindsight, it wasnt a bright move was it
    Then again, neither is putting an International long block that was designed to put out 200hp in a truck and trying to squeeze 300+ hp out of it.
    Had any experience with these particulate traps coming out on the new trucks?
    I believe that Valley Metro tried some out on a few buses in town and it was almost a weekly occurance that they would get so plugged up they'd choke the bus out because of back pressure. Granted these were more of a catalytic converter type versus the design that actually sprays fuel into the chamber to help burn off the particulates more completely.

boater72
    [QUOTE=Jordy]Wait until Jan. 1st 2007 when the next stage of emissions hits. There is a reason the Dodge is going to a 6.4 Cummins and the Ford is dropping the 6.0 in favor of a 6.6 twin turbo. Emissions are clamping down so hard they have to increase displacement to make the same HP and still pass.
    This is so true. That is the reasone they went to the 6.0 in the first place. As they were even thinking about having us get smog checks in 2007 but that's not going to happen.
    Should have just stuck with the 7.3 and been done with it.
    I did late 2002 7.3 and I am happy I did!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast