Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: San Diego Restaurant HELP...

ROZ
    Bucca De Beppa I think it's on 5th and E ... Walking distance from Convention center.

ROZ
    Just saw the type of dining you want.. bucca is italian... I like Wes' second choice. The fish market... It too is fairly close...

Steamin' Rice
    The San Diego locals will know more places than me, but I have had dinner at Peohe's on Coronado Island a few times and it was good. I know you are looking for something near the convention center, but you can pick up a water taxi near the convention center and they will take you over to Peohe's.. http://www.peohes.com/

tamalewagon
    Downtown I have several recommendations. First and foremost is "Mortons" which is my favorite steak. I ate the double Porterhouse the day I graduated SEAL training and it has held a warm spot in my heart since. Pricey and exclusive and definitely reservation required but within your budget without a psycho bottle of wine or anything. Additionally they have a great dessert tray.
    Second is a primarily seafood restaraunt, but it is called "The Fish Market" and is right by the convention center. Phenomenal swordfish and Ahi, and everything is very fresh off of their own boats to a large degree. Raw bar there as well. There are two restaurants in the same building, one called the "Top of the Market" which is upscale and dressy, and the regular restaurant downstairs which is a little more low key. I recommend upstairs for the view and service.
    As was said before, the Gaslamp Strip Club is awesome. You actually grill your own steaks, which can lead to less then desireable results as I found out, but it is a great conversation piece because their entire menu is full of plays on words like the title.
    Mortons is a bit franchised, so if you want a slightly more San Diego atmosphere you can basically go around the corner to "Lou and Mickey's" which I have heard great things about but never gone to. Another I am going to likely try this weekend for my 9th wedding anniversary is "The Palm" also in downtown which is supposed to rock.
    I have about a dozen phenomenal restaraunts in the area that I would recommend highly, but only those few are in downtown. I know someone at all of them, and can make a call for you if need be.
    Call me if you need anything else, (619) 823-5643. Good luck!
    Got to agree with Froggy on Top of the Fish Market...also want to add a few such as Flemings which rivals Mortons, Rainwaters is a phenominal chop house, Indigo Grill for a little more "hip" atmosphere but unbelievable food, or the always popular Ruths Chris with another spectacular view. You pretty much can't miss with any of the choices mentioned in all the responses.

ClownRoyal
    Downtown I have several recommendations. First and foremost is "Mortons" which is my favorite steak. I ate the double Porterhouse the day I graduated SEAL training and it has held a warm spot in my heart since. Pricey and exclusive and definitely reservation required but within your budget without a psycho bottle of wine or anything. Additionally they have a great dessert tray.
    Second is a primarily seafood restaraunt, but it is called "The Fish Market" and is right by the convention center. Phenomenal swordfish and Ahi, and everything is very fresh off of their own boats to a large degree. Raw bar there as well. There are two restaurants in the same building, one called the "Top of the Market" which is upscale and dressy, and the regular restaurant downstairs which is a little more low key. I recommend upstairs for the view and service.
    As was said before, the Gaslamp Strip Club is awesome. You actually grill your own steaks, which can lead to less then desireable results as I found out, but it is a great conversation piece because their entire menu is full of plays on words like the title.
    Mortons is a bit franchised, so if you want a slightly more San Diego atmosphere you can basically go around the corner to "Lou and Mickey's" which I have heard great things about but never gone to. Another I am going to likely try this weekend for my 9th wedding anniversary is "The Palm" also in downtown which is supposed to rock.
    I have about a dozen phenomenal restaraunts in the area that I would recommend highly, but only those few are in downtown. I know someone at all of them, and can make a call for you if need be.
    Call me if you need anything else, (619) 823-5643. Good luck!
    You left out Dick's Last Resort :yuk:

riverroyal
    in balboa park,great food.

Mandelon
    Wes has made some good recommendations. There is a brazilian place on 4th I think, that is within walking distance of the Center. It has fresh meat of all varieties brought to your table on skewers. They give you a shaker looking thing for your table. It is green on one side and red on the other. Green up, they bring you meat. Red up they stop. Until you turn it back over, of course.
    Steak, Filet mignon, lamb, chicken, ham, everything. They have a salad and veggie bar, but the fun is the slicing the fresh slabs of goodness of the skewers right onto your plate.
    Ruth's Criss has a nice view, as does the Fish Market.
    G5 might be the call though. Its owned by the guys who do Georges at the Cove in La Jolla. Its on 5th. It used to be a Wyatt Earp saloon I think.
    G5-Georges on Fifth Menu Sample
    (This is a sample menu only and the menu items and prices may vary)
    DINNER MENU
    APPETIZERS
    $ 12.00 Dungeness Crab Cakes
    Served with roasted red bell pepper cream and fresh cilantro.
    $ 14.00 Today’s Fresh Oysters
    Served on the half-shell with cocktail sauce and cucumber vinaigrette -or-Broiled with cilantro pesto, sun dried tomato and feta cheese.
    $ 10.00 Shrimp Cocktail
    Served with avocado and cucumber cocktail sauce.
    $ 10.00 Panko Fried Shrimp
    Served with thai peanut sauce, cilantro oil and crisp wonton strings.
    $ 8.00 Grilled Portobello Mushroom
    Marinated in peppered vodka with spinach, bacon and grilled onions in a roasted tomato mushroom jus.
    $ 7.00 Artichoke (seasonal)
    Steamed and served with drawn butter and garlic mayonaise.
    $ 12.00 Tower of Tropical Tuna Tartare
    Served with hoisin glaze, citrus ponzu broth and tropical fruit salsa.
    $ 12.00 Beef Carpaccio
    Served paper-thin with truffle oil, balsamic syrup, bitter greens and shaved parmesan.
    $ 12.00 Maine Lobster “Martini”
    Marinated in peppered vodka with avocado, cucumber cocktail sauce and “Martini” olives.
    $ 6.00 Roasted Tomato Bruschetta
    Served on thick slices of black olive bread with basil oil and shaved parmesan.
    SOUPS
    $ 12.00 California Seafood Bisque
    Served with sherry wine and poppy seed fleuron.
    $ 8.00 Creamy wild Mushroom Soup
    Served with truffled risotto and crisp leeks.
    $ 6.00 Chef’s Soup of the Day
    SALADS
    $ 7.00 Young Spring Greens
    With caramelized toasted walnuts, red grapes, tomatoes and feta cheese, tossed in a balsamic vinaigrette.
    $ 8.00 Caesar Salad
    With hearts of romaine spears, croutons and shaved parmesan, tossed in a classic caesar dressing. With grilled chicken, $14
    $ 9.00 Spinach Salad
    With grilled onions, shiitake mushrooms, bacon and smoked vermont cheddar, tossed in a sherry-dijon vinaigrette.
    $ 9.00 Beefsteak Tomato and Maui Onion
    With crumbled roquefort and shallots in a balsamic vinaigrette.
    $ 9.00 Vine-Ripened Tomato Salad
    With fresh buffalo mozzarella, shaved onion, basil oil and balsamic syrup.
    $ 16.00 Maine Lobster Salad
    With baby arugula, avocado, oyster mushrooms and yukon gold potato straws, tossed in a white truffle chardonnay dressing.
    IRRESISTIBLE DISHES
    $ 45.00 Surf & Turf
    6 oz. USDA Prime Filet Mignon - 6/7 oz. Lobster Tail
    $ 34.00 Prime Rib
    16 oz. cut - Friday & Saturday only
    ENTREES
    $ 45.00 Prime Filet Mignon - Certified Angus Beef® • 8oz. cut
    With port wine demi-glace, fingerling potatoes, roquefort, leeks and spinach shiitake ragout. (12 oz. cut, $64)
    $ 49.00 Prime New York Strip - Certified Angus Beef® • 12oz. cut
    With Jack Daniel’s demi-glace, wild rice pepper dust, fingerling potatoes, leeks and sliced beefsteak tomatoes. (16 oz. cut, $64)
    $ 39.00 Natural Certified Angus Beef® - New York Strip 12 oz. cut
    With seasonal organic vegetables. The finest "breed specific" natural beef available from cattle that have never been given antibiotics, hormones or animal by-products
    $ 34.00 Certified Angus Beef® Filet Mignon • 8oz. cut
    With seasonal vegetables, leeks and fingerling potatoes. (12 oz. cut, $40)
    $ 36.00 Certified Angus Beef® New York Strip - 12oz. cut
    With seasonal vegetables, leeks and fingerling potatoes. (16 oz. cut, $44)
    $ 44.00 Certified Angus Beef® Porterhouse Steak• 22 oz. cut
    With roasted tomatillo sauce, leeks and served with our black bean goat cheese cake.
    $ 30.00 Certified Angus Beef® Grilled Rib Eye Steak • 14 oz. cut
    With seasonal vegetables, leeks and fingerling potatoes.
    $ 26.00 Certified Angus Beef® Top Sirloin Steak • 10 oz. cut
    Rum-Brined with mango salsa, grilled pineapple and plantain.
    $ 28.00 Grilled Pork Chop… “George’s Favorite” • Double-Thick 14 oz.cut
    With ginger hoisin BBQ sauce, sweet potato mash, saffron dijon drizzle and shiitake corn relish. (10 oz. cut, $22)
    $ 32.00 Grilled Porterhouse of Veal • 14 oz. cut
    With wild mushroom marsala demi-glace, whole grain mustard spatzle noodles and spinach ragout.
    $ 34.00 Pan-seared Rack of Colorado Lamb • 12 oz. cut
    With red curry plum demi-glace, pistachio couscous, organic watercress and apple cucumber mint relish.
    $ 26.00 Moscovy Duck Breast
    With sun dried cranberry cabernet sauce and scallion laced wild rice cake.
    $ 18.00 Free Range Chicken Breast
    With sherry wine reduction, roasted tomato gnocchi and baby arugula.
    $ 16.00 Six Onion Risotto
    With kalamata olive burgundy demi-glace, fresh rosemary, asparagus, sun dried tomato and feta cheese.
    $ 16.00 Stir-Fry Seasonal Vegetables
    Served with shiitake mushrooms, asparagus, Baby Bok Choy, water chestnuts, broccoli, carrots and snow peas in a teriyaki sauce with fried or steam rice.
    $ 24.00 Salmon
    Sauteed with coriander crust, sun dried cherry fennel relish, basil oil and montrachet risotto.
    $ 28.00 Sushi-Grade Ahi
    Flash seared with hoisin glaze, fried rice, tropical fruit salsa, cilantro oil and crisp wonton strings.
    $ 28.00 Jumbo Sea Scallops
    Pan seared with wild rice dust, sun dried tomato tapenade, green goddess dressing, organic watercress and new potatoes.
    $ 26.00 Swordfish
    Grilled with caramelized red onions and Porcini Risotto.
    $ 26.00 Halibut
    Grilled with chipotle tomato sauce, jalapeno corn cake, goat cheese risotto, avocado, cilantro oil, toasted pepitas and tortilla confetti.
    $ 28.00 Linguini with Maine Lobster
    With tomato, garlic, onion, basil and feta cheese, tossed in a white wine lemon sauce.
    $ 14.00 Pasta Selections
    Linguini, fettuccini, rotelli, penne or angel hair pasta with your choice of alfredo or marinara sauce. With grilled chicken or salmon, $17
    STEAK SIDES
    $ 12.00 organic vegetables
    $ 5.00 finglerling potatoes
    $ 5.00 shoestring fries
    $ 5.00 baked potato
    $ 6.00 seasonal vegetables
    $ 7.00 asparagus

OGShocker
    Thank you guys, VERY much!
    You hit me up at the LA Boat Show( Dana Booth)! Beers, Sodas and Cocktails are on me!

ROZ
    Damn... I forgot about Georges..... Milf's

OGShocker
    Damn... I forgot about Georges..... Milf's
    Oh, I'll be going to G5. I'd be on my way now if it wasn't two hours away! :cry:
    Our friends need to walk to the restaurant or it would be top of their list too.
    Thanks again!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast