Thread: truck campers

dtr352
    I have been thinking about buying a cabover camper for the ocasional desert trip and maybe off season river trips but I have a few questions that you guys can maybe help me out with. Can you still tow a trailer with the camper on the truck? What kind of mounts are required to secure it to the truck? Do they stay on the truck when the camper is not being used? If anyone has owned one of these campers or knows a bit about them I would apreciate any imput you have.

dtr352
    03 is a little to new and by that I mean to expensive I just need something to sleep in with a useable kitchen. Did you take yours to a trailer shop to have the mounts installed or is it a do it yourself type deal? I like the idea of them being frame mounted for both looks and strength. I realize the camper I get will probably be older and look the part but I have a nice truck and I don't want to have some ugly weak mounts bolted to it.

dtr352
    Plus the safety thing should be first and foremost, yes you can do it yourself. The one good thing about mine is the Dodge has what they call a No Drill Frame, so the brackets were made to bolt to existing holes in the frame. The big drawback to the Dodge was in 03 they used cradle mounts on the hitch so you either remove the bed to get it off or sawzall the hitch off. Which is what I did, then bolted up my Superhitch.
    Safety is very important. It doesn't matter how good something looks if you are dead. Do those mounts you have mount to the frame and then conect to the camper jacks. I know some of these questions are probably dumb but I have never had this style camper before. I am used to bumper pulls and fifth wheels.

dtr352
    I checked out the website for the hitch and mounts. They definitely seem like the way to go. Do you remember about how much you payed for them. The website does not have prices.

dtr352
    Thanks for all the imput. I will have to give them a call

TrojanDan
    Try this RV forum. www.rv.net There's a section for TC's (truck campers) with lots of info for newbies.

Mandelon
    I have an older 89 Vacationeer 9'6" overcab we use for desert trips. It works out great. You have a fridge, shower, sink, stove, oven, water heater, a small furnace, even a big queen bed, bathroom, all the comforts of home, just smaller. It all works on propane and 12 volt for a long weekend easily. It holds enough water for a few days, especially if you are not wasteful.
    They are heavy so you need at least a 3/4 ton truck if not a one ton. Make sure your tires are rated D or E or better as well. Long bed truck has more choices of camper styles as well, but they do make em for regular beds as well.
    I had a hitch extension made out of heavy duty square tube, and I anchor that with two brackets back to the cross bar. Its strong and doesn't move at all. We tow the Lavey (21) or our Wrangler. I paid a welding shop about $60.00 and bought a few heavy duty bolts, nuts and washers at the hardward store. Towed our shiznit all over the state.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...ke_111-med.jpg
    The camper itself is anchored with four threaded spring loaded anchors, torklift I think? Two to the back bumper and two to brackets in the front of the bed and to the frame. The two on the bumper do make it flex a little, but it's never been an issue. Its a three hour job hooking them up, and splicing in for the lighting connector.
    I'd like to get a newer one so if you are interested in an older one let me know. I'd sell it for $3000 or so. The outside has yellowed, but the inside is in great shape. We recovered the cushions and my wife actually made some curtains for it.
    When we ran with our F-250 we had a little trouble on the big hills, even with the 460 in it, now with the Silverado/Dmax, the hills are no problemo.

BajaMike
    I have been thinking about buying a cabover camper for the ocasional desert trip and maybe off season river trips but I have a few questions that you guys can maybe help me out with. Can you still tow a trailer with the camper on the truck? What kind of mounts are required to secure it to the truck? Do they stay on the truck when the camper is not being used? If anyone has owned one of these campers or knows a bit about them I would apreciate any imput you have.
    The shorter the overhang, the better it is for towing.