Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where Are the Jumbo Water Tankers?

Not So Fast
    NSF, over here we see videos of a lot of choppers in the air, some dropping water and some taking pictures. Don't tell me a C-130 or DC-10 can't make a pass
    Yes I saw some dropping of water also but the report said that low level passes were too dangerous and that high altitude drops were sort of pointless because the water or retardant was disbursed to much by the high winds NSF

So while 5 firefighters get burned to death, untold millions of dollars worth of peoples homes and property are lost, we've got C130's, DC-10's and 747 parked while someone tries to figure out what paper work and permits should be handled. Thats the trouble with government that has grown too big, it no longer working...
    Typical beurocracy Burt. We have laws on immigration too that aren't enforced. And now funding for a multi million (likely way overpriced) fence that probably will never be built. You're right. Government it too big to react and too many in charge more interested in power and money and political positioning than getting things done for the people they were elected to represent and protect. At all levels, from Washington right down to the folks that control and direct these fire fighting assets that sit idle while shit burns to the ground and folks are injured and killed. If I was in charge every air asset available would have been dispatched at first light if it was safe to do so (wind permitting). And I can just about guarantee those same planes will sit idle when the wind subsides a little too. The whole governmental system is badly broken and bogged down with layers of people who aren't given the authority or incentive to make decisions and get things done.
    We (the U.S. government) can spend a bizillion dollars a day overseas with grants and giveaways and foreign wars to countries who don't appreciate it or use it wisely but we can't spend $25K an hour to save our own shit from burning, take care of our poor and elderly, protect our own borders, make health care affordable to our lower income citizens (not illegals), on and on and on. Something's definately wrong with this picture. The richest country in the world can't fly high tech aircraft that are sitting on the ground to fight these fires because of the cost, which is a pea in the barrel of what the country spends and wastes on a daily basis. That my friends is focked up.

wsuwrhr
    Rexie,
    Thanks for pointing out the truth and ruining my day. I have voted ever since I was able and I haven't influenced a thing.
    Government is too big, I am starting to believe there isn't a thing we can do about it except watch our great country crumble like the Romans.
    Here is something I grabbed off Yahoo this week. Interesting read.
    What is your take on it?
    Brian
    Yahoo article (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061026/...ing_government)
    We (the U.S. government) can spend a bizillion dollars a day overseas with grants and giveaways and foreign wars to conuntries who don't appreciate it or use it wisely but we can't spend $25K an hour to save our own shit from burning, take care of our poor and elderly, protect our own borders, make health care affordable to our lower income citizens (not illegals), on and on and on. Something's definately wrong with this picture. The richest country in the world can fly high tech aircraft that are sitting on the ground to fight these fires becasue of the cost, which is a pea in the barrel of what the country spends and wastes on a daily basis. That my friends is focked up.

JustMVG
    Look at what the DC did during the Day fire, a 3/4 mile or longer and with few drops got the line quashed , 25000 anhour seem like a lot, but consider what houses cost today and what the land is worth, no brianer!!! govt. BS at your service,,and if your place burned up they'd give you a cot to sleep on and a mile long paper to fill out, now if it was Malibu or Palos Verde..... Why even go there. if 25k is too much imagine what the border control will cost .
    It's all BS until some bueracrat oses his home in a fire , bet he'd scream for the DC the 47 or the russian tanker. We have the capability use the darn stuff and get this over with as fast as possible, maybe just maybe those three firfighters would'nt have lost thier lives. I hate politics when it comes down to stuff like this.

wsuwrhr
    , no brianer!!! .
    Yep

dirty old man
    This is the same kind of government decision making that left a couple of hundred busses sitting still during Katrina. Vote out ALL incumbents from city mayors, to senators, to congressmen and so on

Moneypitt
    Alright, anyone live close enough to be in danger? And/or, anyone close enough to give real time updates as to where this fire is, and where its going........I heard Beaumont on the news and I know there are peeps here that live there or close to it.........Any news?.........MP

Pheelin Phroggy
    If it gets to the point of mass evacs and anyone on here needs a bed or has a friend that does, we have an extra room in Hesperia, just pm us. Hope it does not get to that point but if it does..................

Not So Fast
    http://www.evergreenaviation.com/sup..._pg/sim_03.jpg This Bad Boy !!http://www.evergreenaviation.com/sup...pg/drop_05.jpg
    Now thats some serious drops right there, how could that not have an effect on the fire?? We'll spend a gazzillion dollars in Iraq but when it comes to the home front "it costs too much" Frikken politicians NSF

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast