Thread: merc 454/bravo one info

nos1967
    my dad upgraded from a small jet boat to a 98' 24 foot ebbtide with a mercury 454 and bravo one drive. i like to know everthing about what im using so i thought ide ask you all about that setup. is there anything we should watch out for? ive read going from idle to WOT fast puts a lot of stress on the gears. my dad refuses to take it above 3500 rpm, hes always afraid things will brake. ive gotten it up to 56 mph with 4 people in the boat, i was impressed. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks a lot-scott

sneekinfreek
    this motor is pretty reliable and so is the out drive . however you can detonate both with holding them wide open for a period of time . The boat is a very well designed hull and will handle just about any rough lake water. Just make sure you always check the oil level and it is at full and the transmition fluid . also operating temp. the outdrive should be checked for fluid and color . these drives are known to over heat and basically seize. so enjoy but rember this is not a game of manipulation and how far you can push this toy ....... Never mess with papa or his toys :220v: :skull: :cry: :rollside:

nos1967
    haha for now i just mess with the jet boat. it burns absolutely no oil which my dad says is rare for a 454. what rpm is safe to keep it at for long periods of time?

sneekinfreek
    about 3200 to 3700max basically cruising speed which should be about 35 to 40 mph.

Havasu47
    this motor is pretty reliable and so is the out drive . however you can detonate both with holding them wide open for a period of time . The boat is a very well designed hull and will handle just about any rough lake water. Just make sure you always check the oil level and it is at full and the transmition fluid . also operating temp. the outdrive should be checked for fluid and color . these drives are known to over heat and basically seize. so enjoy but rember this is not a game of manipulation and how far you can push this toy ....... Never mess with papa or his toys :220v: :skull: :cry: :rollside:
    Sorry but this is a totally false statement. The Bravo one drive is not known for overheating and seizing. It is a very reliable drive, especially with the 454 engine. Properly maintained with the proper gear lube and engine oil and you will have no problems cruising 4000 to 4500. As with any engine and drive, life is always reduced at higher rpm's and loads, but unless there is a problem they are not going to "detonate".