Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's think a little longer...

Tom Brown
    What if we had two cars set up like this...
    Car A:
    - 875 lbs total weight, with fuel
    - 600 hp
    - decent suspension with decent tires
    Car B:
    - 2700 lbs total weight, with fuel
    - 1000 hp
    - decent suspension with decent tires
    How do you suppose the two vehicles would compare, performance wise?
    Assuming whatever vehicle you had could get proper traction, power to weight ratio kind of favors the vehicle that is less than 1/3 the weight, with almost 2/3's the horsepower.
    875 lbs with 600 rear wheel horsepower calculates to 6.6056 ET, 206.34 MPH
    2700lbs with 1000 rear wheel horsepower calculates to 8.1111 ET, 168.04 MPH.
    I guess you are comparing a bike against a race car?
    **** your results may vary, don't try this at home
    What if the two vehicles in question here are boats. Boat A could be 600 hp outboard and boat B could be a 1000 hp stern drive.
    How would the performance compare then?

One boat would likely outperform the other.

MAXIMUS
    Based on the composites of both hulls & the given density of the air quality at appox 3' from the water, I am going to have to say the Blown injected jet would kick ass!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crossx:

Tom Brown
    I am going to have to say the Blown injected jet would kick ass!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crossx:
    :idea:
    Maybe you can help me with this question, Maxi.
    If I have two boats:
    Boat A - can do 8 second 1/4 mile runs
    Boat B - can do 10 second 1/4 mile runs
    ... if boat B has a better induction system and more power, which boat would be able to do the quarter mile in less time?

While not a BGJ I will attempt to answer your question.
    first you must have a plan.
    I've run the numbers Tom and it appears the Plan A boat will always beat the Plan B boat. However in my calculating I also determined that if the B boat could do 8 seconds in 1/4 mile runs, the 2 boats would be equal in time. But given the A boat would be cheaper to build because of a lesser induction system it is also likely lighter, such a boat would be more desireable than the plan B type boat. This would be especially true in rural areas where basic substanance wheat farming was the main livelihood of boat buyers and Maximas are the tow vehicle of choice.

eliminatedsprinter
    If a constipated bear can run 35 mph and a constipated deer can run 40 mph which will be the first to eat two nine inch bran muffuins?

MAXIMUS
    Maybe you can help me with this question, Maxi.
    If I have two boats:
    Boat A - can do 8 second 1/4 mile runs
    Boat B - can do 10 second 1/4 mile runs
    ... if boat B has a better induction system and more power, which boat would be able to do the quarter mile in less time?
    DUHHH!!! Come on Tom... these are preschool questions dude! Everybody knows that Plan B would kick ass...
    But I like where you came from on this...

Tom Brown
    How come it just occurred to me that nobody in here gives a shit about power to weight or performance theory of any kind. :idea:
    It seems to me, a 2700 lb boat is going to have one hell of a time keeping up with a 900 lb boat in linear acceleration or turning. It might be competitive at sheer speed as that's more of an aero and hydrodynamic issue but the extra weight is a significant detriment to speed too.
    It's not a slam on stern drive boats to say they are at a performance disadvantage when compared to outboards. It's just the physics of power and weight.
    ... but I think I'll just pipe down and let big gay Jesus throw some more commandments onto the fire.

How come it just occurred to me that nobody in here gives a shit about power to weight or performance theory of any kind. :idea:
    I could possibly be because of the exchange rate Tom.

If a constipated bear can run 35 mph and a constipated deer can run 40 mph which will be the first to eat two nine inch bran muffuins?
    That would depend completely on the size of each animal. I do believe the bear would like have an edge though because he'd probably kill the deer before it could finish the 2 nine inchers thus winning by eating the deer and the remaining muffin portions.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast