Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Impeller A or AA??? or ?????

blown_superjet
    Hey guy's I have a 1979 Sanger SuperJet with a blown 461 BBC Pushing around 900hp. I have alot of cavitation out of the hole. I have heard about a pre-impeller but don't know much about them??? I Pump is a Berkeley jg with a bronse A impeller. The Jet takes about 15-20 seconds to "prime" is the best word I can use to discribe it before the boat will start moving when I first set it in the water. After the inital "prime" it move right away after it been sitting (in the water). Anyone know what the deal is???? It did not do this prior to the "rebuid". The pump was rebuilt about two years ago by J and A marine in Sac. I really love this boat and have lots of time and of course $$$$$$...... money in it it run ninty three on GPS BUT..... I want to go faster da....... So what can I do????

67weimann
    Does it only do this upon initial launch? If so, it sounds like air is trapped in the pump and once you get that air out it is okay. There is a primer deal that lets the air out of the bowl when you first launch. I believe you just have to drill and tap your bowl to install one and if your problem is only on initial launch. This should remedy it. I can't remember who makes them but I'm sure someone will chim in.

b's sanger
    Keep the bucket open when you launch. It helps a bit.

W.O.T
    Keep the bucket open when you launch. It helps a bit.
    that would be my first word of advice. my boat will do the same thing with the bucket closed at launch.

RICHARD TILL
    i think you answered your own question when you said it did`nt do it before rebuild. sound like the clearences were`nt set right. about the inducer or preloader, my partner and myself put one in our dragboat and could`nt tell any difference in the holeshot and it cost us 3 mph topend. it will come out sometime this winter. maybe we can find another sucker like we were.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Do you run a droop? If so then you NEED a "prime-a-jet" from www.hi-techperformance.
    If your cavitating that pump then I would say run an inducer. I installed one this year and my holeshot is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!! and Im runing a bronze "B" cut impeller......

sdba069
    I agree with Richard on the "when it started" deal, but couldn't disagree more about the inducer. I do this every day, for a living, and I'm yet to try one in a boat that had slippage on the launch that it didn't help. In Richard's case, if the boat didn't slip before the inducer, there was nothing to gain by the installation of the inducer. Sometimes there are other hardware mods that need to be performed to allow the inducer to work properly, such as opening up a loader to make sure there is adequate water available at the hit. Also, was there a loader change or other hardware change when the pump was freshened? One other thing, are you SURE that you want to run any faster in a Superjet?????????????

centerhill condor
    Does it only do this upon initial launch? If so, it sounds like air is trapped in the pump and once you get that air out it is okay. There is a primer deal that lets the air out of the bowl when you first launch. I believe you just have to drill and tap your bowl to install one and if your problem is only on initial launch. This should remedy it. I can't remember who makes them but I'm sure someone will chim in.
    and like the other guy said open the reverse bucket when launching. Also, try with the diverter all the way up at first.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    One other thing, are you SURE that you want to run any faster in a Superjet?????????????
    Thats what i was thinking!!!!!! THats extremely fast for that hull

b's sanger
    Thats what i was thinking!!!!!! THats extremely fast for that hull
    I had similar concerns when I was restoring mine. I don't have that powerplant, but there is nothing but foam under that floor stock and the strength is in the original floor glassed at the edges to the hull. I strengthened mine by runnung/glassing a 2x6 keel from the front bulkhead to the engine bulkhead under the floor without the foam. I then screwed the center of a new floor down into the keel and re-glassed everything. I would have no reservations putting a blower motor in it now, strong as a rock. One of the best mods I did to her.
    B

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast