Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Impeller A or AA??? or ?????

bp
    All I was wondering to is how this guy knows that the cast ones flex and the billet ones dont?? That is all, He said that they do and how does he know this??
    since ron's not answering, i'll toss a swag out there. if someone machines something out of billet, it "must be" stronger than cast. ergo, there must be a reason to have increased strength in order to sell the thing. the easiest claim to make (to talk up your product) is to slam the other product. i.e., mine's better because yours isn't as good.
    i've never heard of a cast inducer showing signs of flex; that is, not heard of root cracking, or blade cracking. mine looks like the day it was installed in '97 (blueprinted, not polished), and it's absorbed a lot of wot launches from a dead stop. granted, it's not 1150hp, only 850, but it's a heavy boat -. i know of other boats with more hp that use 'em, again, i've not heard of any problems (other than when rocks are sucked up). then again, it's a known fact that 304ss impellers WILL begin to flex over time from high hp application, will develop stress cracks and ultimately come apart, taking the pump with them, if they're not monitored in high hp applications, and replaced when the signs are there.
    i've typed long descriptions about what this thing is actually doing in the pump, so i'm not going to repeat it here (that can be found through a search). suffice to say, they are installed for a specific reason, and they work.
    if ron's seen or heard of stress cracking in a cast inducer, i'd like to hear about it.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Threaten him with a boot to the chest
    Hey now, stop instigating

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    since ron's not answering, i'll toss a swag out there. if someone machines something out of billet, it "must be" stronger than cast. ergo, there must be a reason to have increased strength in order to sell the thing. the easiest claim to make (to talk up your product) is to slam the other product. i.e., mine's better because yours isn't as good.
    i've never heard of a cast inducer showing signs of flex; that is, not heard of root cracking, or blade cracking. mine looks like the day it was installed in '97 (blueprinted, not polished), and it's absorbed a lot of wot launches from a dead stop. granted, it's not 1150hp, only 850, but it's a heavy boat -. i know of other boats with more hp that use 'em, again, i've not heard of any problems (other than when rocks are sucked up). then again, it's a known fact that 304ss impellers WILL begin to flex over time from high hp application, will develop stress cracks and ultimately come apart, taking the pump with them, if they're not monitored in high hp applications, and replaced when the signs are there.
    i've typed long descriptions about what this thing is actually doing in the pump, so i'm not going to repeat it here (that can be found through a search). suffice to say, they are installed for a specific reason, and they work.
    if ron's seen or heard of stress cracking in a cast inducer, i'd like to hear about it.
    Good post BP

Clockstart
    i've never heard of a cast inducer showing signs of flex; that is, not heard of root cracking, or blade cracking.
    if ron's seen or heard of stress cracking in a cast inducer, i'd like to hear about it.If you do a search on inducers (2003?) HBjet posted a picture of a "two blade" billet inducer. While the thread is still on Hot Boat, the picture is not. Too bad. Maybe someone saved that pic and can post it. This is the only example of a broken inducer that I can remember showing up here.
    cs

SmokinLowriderSS
    All I was wondering to is how this guy knows that the cast ones flex and the billet ones dont?? That is all, He said that they do and how does he know this??
    I am equally curious PD, and would like the same explanation.
    Since we are here, and this question has not been asked before (and I have no idea, and no, I have not searched) just what materials are the inducers made from, cast and billet? Are they all Aluminum? Are any other metals comonly used in higher HP aplications (such as bronze or steel) or is the Al. plenty for it's purpose?
    I am looking for the "broken inducer" thread.

Clockstart
    The thread is entitled "Bronze Impeller?". HBjet posted a picture on 2-13-03 at 5:51 pm.
    cs

Placecraft Dragstar
    I am equally curious PD, and would like the same explanation.
    Since we are here, and this question has not been asked before (and I have no idea, and no, I have not searched) just what materials are the inducers made from, cast and billet? Are they all Aluminum? Are any other metals comonly used in higher HP aplications (such as bronze or steel) or is the Al. plenty for it's purpose?
    I am looking for the "broken inducer" thread.
    I guess they just want this to die and not answer it?? This was a good question but no one wants to step up and answer??

SmokinLowriderSS
    I think it's going to die, because, as I think I posted earlier, I do not think there is anything resembling proof, evidence, or even study of inducer flexing. IMO the "billet inducer flexes less than cast" is the usual hype surrounding "billet" anything, and is not only unfounded, but currently unprovable.
    I guess I'll just ASSume the inducers are all Aluminum since I have not seen any pix of any gold-colored ones, and the Al is economically workable, and I think (in the absence of evidence otherwise) plenty for the aplication of supplying the pressure impeller, not generating pressure itself.

I think it's going to die, because, as I think I posted earlier, I do not think there is anything resembling proof, evidence, or even study of inducer flexing. IMO the "billet inducer flexes less than cast" is the usual hype surrounding "billet" anything, and is not only unfounded, but currently unprovable.
    I guess I'll just ASSume the inducers are all Aluminum since I have not seen any pix of any gold-colored ones, and the Al is economically workable, and I think (in the absence of evidence otherwise) plenty for the aplication of supplying the pressure impeller, not generating pressure itself.
    Son, never assume anything, the inducers are not aluminum, but rather stainless steel. Some are cast, some are billet, and to determine the amount of flex is, not humanly possible. The amount of flew must be determined mathematically, by calculations of speed, force and drag, the you may have some idea of the amount of flex going on.

steelcomp
    Son, never assume anything, the inducers are not aluminum, but rather stainless steel. Some are cast, some are billet, and to determine the amount of flex is, not humanly possible. The amount of flew must be determined mathematically, by calculations of speed, force and drag, the you may have some idea of the amount of flex going on.
    Yes, they're stainless, but I completely disagree that you can't test the flex, if that was a necessary goal. You don't need any info at all to compare the billet against the cast, just do a comparative load test. That's simple enough.
    I think what is obvious is, that under the conditions the inducer is used, there's probably very little thrust load on it anyway, so the difference between the billet and the cast is most likely neglegable.
    'probly don't make no difference, either. :rollside:

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast