Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 deg vs. 12 deg Casale

West Coast Dave
    Does anybody out there have the casting numbers for Casales to know if it is a 10 or 12 degree V-Drive. I know there are casting numbers on the case. Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages of 10 vs. 12 deg. for an approx 650 hp flatbottm? thanx for the info!

126driver
    62500 = 12 degree
    61000 = 10 degree
    What hull/size are you running?

Fiat48
    This is all Drag race related. I'll throw all this out there just in case anything is relative. I have a 76 Cole 5/8 runner flat. Blown alcohol. 12 degree v drive. My strut is 8 degree. I beleive most other strut angles on the 10 degree V drive stuff is 7 degree with a few I have seen at 6 1/2 degrees. This boat launches a lot more nose high off the starting line than any 10 degree (7 degree strut) boat I have ever seen. I have to use all the down pedal I can to keep the boat from becoming a rocket. I also have to stay in the plate longer to get it settled down. I am running the strut 26 inches from the rear cavitation plate which I would never do with a 7 degree strut/10 degree v drive.
    So what I am saying is that if you have a 12 degree V drive, measure your strut and see if it is 7 degrees or 8 degrees. If you have a 7 degree strut with a 12 degree v drive, then that means the extra degree is simply in motor height location. But if you have an 8 degree strut, the boat will launch higher and may want to climb as you accelerate. At 650 HP, I wouldn't worry about it. Just nice to know the "whys".

superdave013
    Blown alki with an 8 degree strut. wow, I bet it's a hand full.
    I have a 9 deg strut with a 10 deg box in my schiada. It gets pretty loose on the big end too. I might lay the strut down to 7.5 to settle things out some. We'll see.
    For the advantages/disadvantages, 12 deg gears seem harder to find. Also a 12 deg box would put your engine higher in the boat so it might not turn as well. But if it's a 12 deg box that you have and your not roundy racing I would not think of changing it.

Fiat48/Superdave, Thanks for responding to west coast daves question. I have a million questions about v-drive boats and not many people offer clear explanations to tech questions. I measured the strut angle on my hondo @8 deg. The v-drive is an old hemi most likely a 12 deg. after reading fiat48's explanation. My strut is also 26inches from rear of cav plate. I have never seen gears for this box and only have a set of 15 's and 18's. I believe it's possible to swap the hemi out for a casale 12 deg without changing the strut, and have better gear selections. This winter the boat is getting a blown 509 chevy running gas aprox 800hp range. Would it be wise to change to a 10 deg casale and new strut with less angle to keep the nose down?

Fiat48
    I think with Blown Gas you may be o.k. with the 8 degree strut and the 12 degree box. There are 12 degree gears out there, just a little more difficult to find. I am currently running 10 degree gears and get by with it since I am just 1/4 mile. I'll know a lot more after the World Finals at Phoenix. I have increased the cavitation travel and believe I can make it work. The boat does leave very "dry" which is really kind of an advantage (if controlled). Main thing is that you realize that with a 12 degree box and an 8 degree strut that your driving style has to be a little different. Just hang tight on doing anything till I run Phoenix. And don't put the prop under the boat farther. That only increases the nose high situation. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks 48. Keep me informed if possible.

FlatOut4Me
    I have a spec sheet that says a 61000-B is a 10 degree. My case has 61000-2 stamped in it...does anyone know if the -2 means anything? Also i've heard there is a stamp with a code for the orig gear ratio when it was built. Is this true? What do i look for? Thanks for any info.

superdave013
    FlatOut4Me:
    I have a spec sheet that says a 61000-B is a 10 degree. My case has 61000-2 stamped in it...does anyone know if the -2 means anything? Also i've heard there is a stamp with a code for the orig gear ratio when it was built. Is this true? What do i look for? Thanks for any info.The original gear ratio was stamped in the bottom of the mounting plate. You won't be able to see it unless it's out of the boat mostlikely. Mine was stamped 1.18 but had 1.37 gears in it when I took off the cover.

havasulew
    Hey FIAT48, didn't realize you were in the forum. Has anybody else here read Faulkerson's article?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast