Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can You Run AV Gas With Any Carb ?

curtis73
    whoa, whoa, whoa!!! everyone take a step back from the AVgas and relax...

No one has pointed out yet that avgas is not straight up gasoline, its a derivative of white gas; closer to Coleman fuel than gasoline. It is lighter, and stoichiometrically much different from gasoline. Stoich for plain old pump gas is 14.7, while AVgas is 12.4. Your engine won't run right unless you completely rejet it.
    Plus, Avgas has a faster burn rate... not a lot, but if you're running on the edge of detonation its cause for an ignition recurve.

i ran high oct gas with my first 2 motors which i blew up,swithed to av gas on the last one per my new engine builder and used same carb and jetting never had another problem.

don johnson
    I have had a fair amount of experiance in this area and done some testing. I have 2 blown Teague 1,100 572 CI motors in my boat. 11 lbs of boost and intercoolers. Both motors have been on the dyno and have O2 sensors. I run Avgas as it is readily available and almost the same price as 91 pump gas. Run it for 2 reasons, cheap insurance against detonation and it can sit for long periods of time. However, I tested on pump gas as I wanted to insure that I could run pump gas without detonation should I find myself somewhere having to run pump gas.
    Dyno results showed identical HP in comparing Avgas to 92 pump gas. EGT's were slightly higher with pump gas.
    O2 sensors while tuning in boat showed pump gas with a slightly leaner air fuel as compared to Avgas, but not much. Most likely reflective of the slightly higher EGT's.
    As far as throttle response I can tell you there is no difference in my application.
    Bottom line, I have been running Avgas in my stuff for many years and had great experiance. I do not baby my stuff either. I will run my motors at 5,500-6,500 RPM for long periods. During teardowns/ freshenings the motors are always prestine and piston tops reflect a great flame pattern.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123