Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Note to shooters....

burbanite
    SmokinLowriderSS gave the technical explanation for
    Mr. Brown's answer, both are on the money...
    Before you believe internet or television "facts" you are well advised to do your own research.

KreatinKaos
    Did Later do that ? :crossx:

Cheap Thrills
    I'm sure smokin's figures are relitive to bullet weight and powder/primer combinations.
    I believe Ruger is also proof tested for pressure loads also.
    I have a Super Blackhawk .44 Mag ( One of the beefiest .44mags on the market) that I have loaded far beyond what Speer recomends as maximum load. as well as my Colt Python has gone far beyond max suggested load. there is a tendancy to loose accuracy with the heavier loads though, but goddamn the muzzle blast energy alone is enough to kill a bear at close range.
    as far as the Pic goes.. how drunk does one have to be to chamber a round with the bore sight still in ? :idea: I hope the bolt stayed in and didn't shear the lock and tear the guy's face off.. geeez thats scary
    T.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I'm sure smokin's figures are relitive to bullet weight and powder/primer combinations.
    I believe Ruger is also proof tested for pressure loads also.
    I have a Super Blackhawk .44 Mag ( One of the beefiest .44mags on the market) that I have loaded far beyond what Speer recomends as maximum load. as well as my Colt Python has gone far beyond max suggested load. there is a tendancy to loose accuracy with the heavier loads though, but goddamn the muzzle blast energy alone is enough to kill a bear at close range.
    as far as the Pic goes.. how drunk does one have to be to chamber a round with the bore sight still in ? :idea: I hope the bolt stayed in and didn't shear the lock and tear the guy's face off.. geeez thats scary
    T.
    Man, that shit scares me every time people do it. I sincerely hope one never opens up on you. How's the cylinder end play? Is it getting loose yet?
    A friend of mine used to overload a .44 mag Ruger Redhawk, shooting silhouette steel. After a cylinder full, he couldn't eject them untill the gun cooled for a few minuites. After a few years, he re-thought this, and decided it really wasn't a bright idea, and disassembled the remaining ones and worked up a new, more sane, loading.
    Yes, just about all firearms today are proof-tested to survive excess loads ONCE, they are not designed to digest that regularly. .45 ACP is one of the exceptions. The way the chamber ramp is cut from the chamber itself exposes the brass directly, and any heavy overpressure will blow the brass out, right at the top of the magazine, right down the center of the frame stocks, that you are holding on to at the moment.

SmokinLowriderSS
    The pressures I listed above are the published SAAMI maximum designed pressure for the given cartridge, regardless of parts combination. Often given loads are lower, but are not supposed to go higher as this is the maximum pressure the firearm is designed to expect to deal with in use and not suffer excess wear or damage.

DelawareDave
    I don't think I would over pressure an Italian Mannlicher-Carcano rifle or carbine. The lugs on the bolt are at the rear of the receiver instead of right behind the chamber.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123