Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EFI in a V-drive?

Itsahobby
    I am still considering re-powering my 21 Rayson Craft. I was wondering if anyone has used any of the after market EFI systems and what there impressions were?
    Right now my thoughts are a 502/502 crate motor, or a 502+ long block from a good engine builder. I have all the bolt on goodies
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Jerry

DUCKY
    I have seen several Schiada's with blown and turbo EFI motors. EFI is slick and I was planning on doing it on my next v-drive, but you either have to re-learn how to tune (if you tune your own stuff) or pay someone with the proper knowledge and tools to do it for you. If you have a comfortable understanding of how EFI works, you shouldn't have any trouble.
    Just remember that EFI can leave you out on the water with a part failure, that you probably can't replace at Autozone in a pinch....

Itsahobby
    Good points. I know a lot of the tunning is done through a O2 sensor. I have IMCO powerflows and don't believe there is a bung to mount and O2 sensor.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Jerry
    I have seen several Schiada's with blown and turbo EFI motors. EFI is slick and I was planning on doing it on my next v-drive, but you either have to re-learn how to tune (if you tune your own stuff) or pay someone with the proper knowledge and tools to do it for you. If you have a comfortable understanding of how EFI works, you shouldn't have any trouble.
    Just remember that EFI can leave you out on the water with a part failure, that you probably can't replace at Autozone in a pinch....

Unchained
    EFI / engine management is the ultimate way to go.
    Good fuel economy and driveability too. The throttle response on my port injected turbo motor is excellent.
    As Ducky said there is going to be a learning curve to it. The system has many parameters that can be fine tuned. I learned it myself and tuned with an O2 sensor and an O2 datalogger but it took a while and was frustrating at times. I have a Haltech E6K but there are better (and more expensive) units available now like the Big Stuff, FAST, and Motec.
    Best place to start out is by reading a book on it so you know what your getting into. Go on the Amazon website and search out a book on engine management systems, or Electronic fuel injection.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...eatshields.jpg

hairysituation
    Electricity and water don't mix. :220v:

DUCKY
    Good points. I know a lot of the tunning is done through a O2 sensor. I have IMCO powerflows and don't believe there is a bung to mount and O2 sensor.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Jerry
    o2 sensors and water don't mix either... If you are going to run a system that uses an o2 sensor, you can't put water into the pipe until the very end. And if you run a cam with a 108 or 110 l/c, forget about any water in the exhaust. The o2 sensor has to achieve and maintain a certain temp to function. If the sensor gets doused with water, the computer will go into closed loop (which means the motor runs off a set of parameters in the ECU, and makes no adjustments for input from various sensors)
    I am not really a fan of the systems that require an o2 sensor, if you haven't noticed....

Itsahobby
    I need to do more research. I thought you had to have a O2 sensor in order to tune the EFI.
    o2 sensors and water don't mix either... If you are going to run a system that uses an o2 sensor, you can't put water into the pipe until the very end. And if you run a cam with a 108 or 110 l/c, forget about any water in the exhaust. The o2 sensor has to achieve and maintain a certain temp to function. If the sensor gets doused with water, the computer will go into closed loop (which means the motor runs off a set of parameters in the ECU, and makes no adjustments for input from various sensors)
    I am not really a fan of the systems that require an o2 sensor, if you haven't noticed....

Itsahobby
    Yes, yes it would I am trying to keep everything under the hatch, though.
    How about doing a 572 cu in Kinsler EFI Fuel Injected setup ? That would be my next motor combo, a lil ol school with modern tech, the big intake stacks look way cool

Unchained
    Electricity and water don't mix. :220v:
    How do you fire your spark plugs then ?
    Them lectronics just can't be trusted, It's like them there pesky cell phones that are so unreliable too. Now back when you stretched a wire between a couple tin cans..... that was reliability.
    You do need an O2 sensor to tune the system with otherwise you'll waste a lot of time guessing.
    Closed loop is certainly more desireable for economy but I've spent quite a while fine tuning the maps and their pretty close so I run open loop and an O2 sensor is not required.
    You could tune the system with a dry pipe with an O2 sensor in it and then remove it and run open loop or you could tune the system on a dyno with an O2 sensor and run open loop.

Itsahobby
    I was thinking Dyno would be the way for me to go. Or else get a set of dry headers and weld in a O2 sensor.
    I did a search on your threads, good reading. I need to get some books orderd.
    How do you fire your spark plugs then ?
    Them lectronics just can't be trusted, It's like them there pesky cell phones that are so unreliable too. Now back when you stretched a wire between a couple tin cans..... that was reliability.
    You do need an O2 sensor to tune the system with otherwise you'll waste a lot of time guessing.
    Closed loop is certainly more desireable for economy but I've spent quite a while fine tuning the maps and their pretty close so I run open loop and an O2 sensor is not required.
    You could tune the system with a dry pipe with an O2 sensor in it and then remove it and run open loop or you could tune the system on a dyno with an O2 sensor and run open loop.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast