Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Articulating Seat - Bun Saver

VDRIVERACING
    Here's some pics of a articulating spring/hydraulic seat design that might help ease the back pain in rough conditions. There's a little rust from some salt water trials on the seat pan and springs, but you'll get the idea. The side panels are fashioned after those used on some GN boats. The sides are designed to allow bolsters to be build up to keep your hips on the seat. The articulating motion allows the seat pan and back rest to move up and down together, absorbing the bumps so your foot stays on the gas pedal in rough water. With the exception of the side panels, the rest of the seat would be entirely upolstered, covering all the moving parts. The springs are specially wound piano steel wire, the frame is chrome molly steel tube, and the sides are 6061 aluminum. Seat travel is about 4". Food for thought. Enjoy!

Moneypitt
    I would say it is interesting........I'm thinking of a capsule instalation, and anything that would make the driver's job eaiser has to help. A little concerned about the "rebound" rate however.............Ray

VDRIVERACING
    the rebound adjustment is a key factor. That can be dealt with by the type of shock setup one chooses.
    I'm not so sure I would use something like this in a capsule...

These seats are awesome!
    Steve

mexrunner
    We do custom Harley Seats for friends and put silicone gel approx 3/4" thick between the layers of foam. It doe's a great job of absorbing the vibration from the engine. All the NASCAR driver's use this type of seat. FOOD FOR THOUGHT.

BrendellaJet
    We do custom Harley Seats for friends and put silicone gel approx 3/4" thick between the layers of foam. It doe's a great job of absorbing the vibration from the engine. All the NASCAR driver's use this type of seat. FOOD FOR THOUGHT.
    the pounding you take in a boat is far greater than the pounding you take on a motor cycle. Im sure the bumps the nascar guys go through are a lot tougher than regular driving because of the speeds they travel, but its not like they are racing on the 405 either...You can isolate any engine vibration with the way you mount it too. Seat looks like a great idea. would be nice to see some dimensions and with some upholstery.

VDRIVERACING
    Sounds like a neat trick, no matter what seat it's used on. Brendella brings up a valid point, too. Low profile race boats navigate through extremely punishing conditions.
    The engine vibration is not so much a concern, as reducing the stress on your spine, preventing fatgue, AND not getting bounced out of your seat. Far from getting thrown out of the seat altogether, when hitting hard bumps while driving one tends to lift up from the seat which momemtarily pulls your foot from the gas peddle, thus losing an element of control. The idea behind the articulating seat is to significantly dampen those shocks and keep you planted in the desired position with respect to the steering wheel and pedal(s).
    Aside from the control factor, the ride is far more tolerable which reduces fatigue. These seats can be very expensive to make, but what about our boats that is worthwhile, isn't...

mexrunner
    The gel in the seats does more than just engine vibration, because most of the seats we do are for ridged frame Harley's. Anyway the seats in my Rogers are made for Off-Road Pre Runner trucks that have suspension, work great. But also have Hondo v-drive with the gel both work great!!

GofastRacer
    The gel in the seats does more than just engine vibration, because most of the seats we do are for ridged frame Harley's. Anyway the seats in my Rogers are made for Off-Road Pre Runner trucks that have suspension, work great. But also have Hondo v-drive with the gel both work great!!
    Is the gel used in conjunction with foam or does it replace the foam???..

superdave013
    the rebound adjustment is a key factor. That can be dealt with by the type of shock setup one chooses.
    I'm not so sure I would use something like this in a capsule...
    One of these would work good. You can adjust both high and low speed compression. And they have a very nice rebound adjustment as well.
    On the down side, they cost just a tad more then that car shock you are using.
    http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/products.html
    What's the projected weight of that seat? Looks heavy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast