Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Articulating Seat - Bun Saver

Dave Sammons
    Here's some pics of a articulating spring/hydraulic seat design that might help ease the back pain in rough conditions. There's a little rust from some salt water trials on the seat pan and springs, but you'll get the idea. The side panels are fashioned after those used on some GN boats. The sides are designed to allow bolsters to be build up to keep your hips on the seat. The articulating motion allows the seat pan and back rest to move up and down together, absorbing the bumps so your foot stays on the gas pedal in rough water. With the exception of the side panels, the rest of the seat would be entirely upolstered, covering all the moving parts. The springs are specially wound piano steel wire, the frame is chrome molly steel tube, and the sides are 6061 aluminum. Seat travel is about 4". Food for thought. Enjoy!
    http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attac...chmentid=19257
    http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attac...chmentid=19256
    http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attac...chmentid=19255

mexrunner
    Is the gel used in conjunction with foam or does it replace the foam???..
    The Gel is put between the foam, you need the foam to get the shape you want.

GofastRacer
    The Gel is put between the foam, you need the foam to get the shape you want.
    Ok gotcha, thanks..

VDRIVERACING
    One of these would work good. You can adjust both high and low speed compression. And they have a very nice rebound adjustment as well.
    On the down side, they cost just a tad more then that car shock you are using.
    http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/products.html
    What's the projected weight of that seat? Looks heavy
    There are pretty trick bike shocks out there, but they cost $400 - $600, whereas the hydraulic snowmobile shock I used cost $25. I think I can find an adjustable gas charged hydraulic shock for about $150, or possibly adapt some of the dampers Bostrom uses in their truck seats today.
    The seat is not light, probably 35lbs upohlstered. Most of the weight is in the steel frame, which I have overkilled for strength, but am planning to hand it severe pounding for years to come. If there was a market for $1,000 seats out there, it might make sense for someone to crank out an all aluminum version. Back in the day when one could buy the Bostrom Thin Line Deluxe seat(but you can't now---the plant that built them is demolished, the parts are all gone, etc...), Greer Rush converted those for boat racing use, and he told me his customers would initially complain about the weight, but after riding in them none were ever returned!
    Later this week i'll post a couple of pics of what a friends completed seat looks like with the hip bolsters and non-slip fabric. If anyone has other shock ideas, please speak up. Tip to tip should be around 9" compressed, 13" extended.
    These seats are really great for the right application, and it would be a shame for the design to slip away.

VDRIVERACING
    Here are some pics of how the seat might look when covered

yep maybe you should about getting a gn Tony, you D.R. could have so much fun.

VDRIVERACING
    I snapped the pics from the 9 boat last weekend. Before he passed, Rudy had me on a mission to replicate these seats. My side panels are exact copies of his. He had a list of people that wanted these seats. Mine won't be ready for Parker, but after the first of the year we should have it in the boat.

haulina29
    What is the difference between your seat and a Bostrom that was the marathon standard for years? Gel ?

VDRIVERACING
    What is the difference between your seat and a Bostrom that was the marathon standard for years? Gel ?
    Functionally, they are very similar. With the Bostroms, one had to beef up the frame, etc... Mine was built from scratch with racing strength in mind using commonly available materials. Another key difference is you can build one of mine today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast