Thread: Ever seen avgas turn into gel??

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I have a friend that has a sandcar. He had issues trying to start it so he pulled the carb. When he opened the carb he found that the avgas turned into gel. Has anyone ever seen this???

Moneypitt
    Yes..........

Never seen that with av, happens all the time with pump gas though. i thought av had additives to prevent that sort of thing?

JETBOY03
    yea i have. i have to drain my tanks every winter.

Sleek-Jet
    I have a friend that has a sandcar. He had issues trying to start it so he pulled the carb. When he opened the carb he found that the avgas turned into gel. Has anyone ever seen this???
    Was it blue??? If it was, the gasoline evaporated, leaving the die (which is some sort of organic based gunk) and the lead behind... sticky, sticky stuff... MEK is about the only way to get it clean.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Was it blue??? If it was, the gasoline evaporated, leaving the die (which is some sort of organic based gunk) and the lead behind... sticky, sticky stuff... MEK is about the only way to get it clean.
    Thanks for the info! Ill let him know
    I have never seen such a thing and all I run is avgas

Moneypitt
    I know a person that on the advice of "someone" that was an expert, started cutting the original tanks out of a beautiful boat because "the glass was delaminating!!!".......Guess what, just left over gel/goo from sitting a long time. Nothing wrong with the tanks, but he was past the point of stopping so now the boat sits waiting for the rest of the tanks to be removed, and new ones to match the fill holes to be made. Gotta love those "experts" that don't have a clue...........MP