Thread: APBA Rules vs. Reality on Helmet Paint Jobs

Mid-life Crisis
    I want to paint my helmet to match my boat colors while conforming with APBA rules about helmet paint needing to be the right colors on the upper 50% of the helmet. What solid colors are legal for the upper 50% and can you get away with SOME minor graphics on the upper 50%. I use Billy B's example of a helmet paint job because it looks very cool. Can I get away with something like this with APBA??http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...a_2006_129.jpg

Firecracker
    I want to paint my helmet to match my boat colors while conforming with APBA rules about helmet paint needing to be the right colors on the upper 50% of the helmet. What solid colors are legal for the upper 50% and can you get away with SOME minor graphics on the upper 50%. I use Billy B's example of a helmet paint job because it looks very cool. Can I get away with something like this with APBA??http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...a_2006_129.jpg
    I would have to say, if you stick with "Traffic Cone" Orange, you should be safe. The reason they want you to have the bright color is so if you crash, the rescue team can see you, as well as the other drivers. I am sure there are even more specific, and in-depth reasons why APBA wants the helmets to be painted the way they are, but I would think it is just common sense. You want people to see you when you're in the water, especially if you are unconscious.
    Think about it, if you had blue, or white even that is going to be harder to see in choppy conditions, than orange, yellow, or red.
    I would say hold off on the painting of the helmet until you have a season or so under your belt.

Moneypitt
    [I use Billy B's example of a helmet paint job because it looks very cool. Can I get away with something like this with APBA??http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...a_2006_129.jpg[/QUOTE]
    If you were Billy B you could get away with it..............Notice there is no white X on the back of either of the helmets in the pic............MP

dossangers
    [I use Billy B's example of a helmet paint job because it looks very cool. Can I get away with something like this with APBA??http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...a_2006_129.jpg
    If you were Billy B you could get away with it..............Notice there is no white X on the back of either of the helmets in the pic............MP[/QUOTE]
    That just makes the people behind you feel bad having an X on the helmet!!LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yoghurt
    That just makes the people behind you feel bad having an X on the helmet!!LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Get off your high horse there Barney Fife! Billy B. is god, that's why he doesn't have to have a white X on the back of his head. Whose ass did you kiss to not have one yourself?

Mid-life Crisis
    I would have to say, if you stick with "Traffic Cone" Orange, you should be safe. The reason they want you to have the bright color is so if you crash, the rescue team can see you, as well as the other drivers. I am sure there are even more specific, and in-depth reasons why APBA wants the helmets to be painted the way they are, but I would think it is just common sense. You want people to see you when you're in the water, especially if you are unconscious.
    Think about it, if you had blue, or white even that is going to be harder to see in choppy conditions, than orange, yellow, or red.
    I would say hold off on the painting of the helmet until you have a season or so under your belt.

Being that my helmet is all white right now, I have to get it painted anyway. Since its going to cost me $$ to get it painted, I want it a little more custom than a "traffic cone" I am definately into the safety aspects of the whole thing and I don't mind painting the thing neon if I have to, I just need to know what my true limitations are.

Firecracker
    Being that my helmet is all white right now, I have to get it painted anyway. Since its going to cost me $$ to get it painted, I want it a little more custom than a "traffic cone" I am definately into the safety aspects of the whole thing and I don't mind painting the thing neon if I have to, I just need to know what my true limitations are.
    If you really want to know what your true limitations are, I would suggest speaking to rossdbos on the boards. He should be able to let you know all you need toknow about any of that stuff.
    Good luck!

dossangers
    Get off your high horse there Barney Fife! Billy B. is god, that's why he doesn't have to have a white X on the back of his head. Whose ass did you kiss to not have one yourself?I dont need no STINK'IN LIST! you look a quart low on throat yogurt come and get some! BIAACTTHH!!

Yoghurt
    I dont need no STINK'IN LIST! you look a quart low on throat yogurt come and get some! BIAACTTHH!!
    Who said anything about a list? I know I didn't say anything about a list, are you reading something I'm not?
    Now be a good boy and get over here so I can serve you some of my youghurt through a meat straw! :crossx: