Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wakes upsetting people?

Beer-30
    I don't get this whole thing. I guess to each their own, different things upset people more than others.
    I know there was a whole dealio not too long ago about low-freeboard jets and v-drive owners getting pissed at all the big boats and wakeboard boats, due to their wakes. Of course, the bottom line is, unless it's a private lake, we all have to share and deal with the by-products of others' choices.
    Two different times now, I have been out a Buena Vista and had wakeboard boats raise arms at me. The first time, my attention was drawn by the kid yelling at me. I looked in that direction and saw a late-teen/early twenty dude standing in the tourney boat with arms straight out from his sides (like WTF?). I stopped, turned around, and headed toward them because I though maybe something flew out of the boat and they were being nice to call me back.
    I idled up to them and asked what was wrong. He said, oh nuthin. I just thought a boat like that would throw out more wake than it does. I just said OH, OK. I put the tips right toward their boat and throttled up.
    Last weekend, the wife and I were on our first lap and there was a tourney boat stopped toward the north side. I swung way out south of them, probably 150-175 feet. As I was abeam them, I saw one guy standing in the boat with arms raised. I just ignored and drove on.
    The fact of the matter is, when I am on plane, this boat doesn't throw much of a wake at all. Definitely less than a wakeboard boat with weight and a wedge.
    The only other think I can think of is how some people get annoyed at peeps just running around the lake with nothing in tow. I can somewhat relate, as when I was a kid, we used to question why people were just running around the lake(s) without a skiier in tow.
    I still ski and wakeboard from time to time, but most of the time I just use the boat to get us and friends to the fun locations.
    It doesn't upset me, it is more amusing that anything. I am just venting because I think there are so many other things in life and at the lake to be worried about than what someone else chooses to drive.

Dan Lorenze
    I have no problems at all with sizes of wakes that any boat regardless of size would kick up. The only thing that bothers me is rookie drivers that love to get real close to my boat, I like a lot of breathing room for errors that might occur, and I always give the right of way to bigger boats.. Wakeboard/Ski boats just want to be left alone so they can enjoy smooth water, which I can understand.... Your 30' at BV is a lot of boat, people are probably just scared of you...

Prop Rod
    I just dont understand why people have to drive by at 20mph, bow straight in the air 25' off my anchor line. WTF!?
    I have no problem with all the big boats and ski boats or what ever else is out on the lake if people just had some consideration. Most of the time the big boats are cruising right along and hardly throw a wake at all.

DSW
    I think wakes can get annoying sometimes but I don't blame the boater. When I head up the river from Havasu in my 24' Calabria I get thrown around by all the bigger boats wakes. It's just part of being out on the lake!

Everybody on the river & lakes has the right to enjoy there boats. Boats put off wakes that is just part of the deal.
    With that said it used to be a very common deal for boats to throttle down & let me have some decent water. In fact people even seemed to enjoy watching a 100mph plus pass by a flatty.
    Has not happened to me in the last couple of years. Just seems people are a lot less considerate than they used to be.
    There are no laws & there should NOT be any laws to make this happen.
    Just a little common courtesy would be nice now & then.
    Speaking of laws, aren't you responsible for you wakes??

ratso
    It's the boats with the friggin' water bags... if they'd just stay away from where everybody has their boats pulled up on the beaches... I save the go fast stuff more for during the week when the lake isn't as congested, because I know that also pisses off alot of boaters...

YeLLowBoaT
    Speaking of laws, aren't you responsible for you wakes??
    yes, you are ( atleast in CA) I always try to give some one as much distance as I can when passing/driving by/what ever.

motormonkey
    The lakes are for everybody to enjoy ,but why take a ocean barge to a small lake and wonder why smaller boats get pissed. I think the thing that bugs the most is when you float in a no wake- 5 mph zone and the biggist boat on the lake has to do 20 mph 10 feet away so they can check it out.

DSW
    It's the boats with the friggin' water bags... if they'd just stay away from where everybody has their boats pulled up on the beaches... I save the go fast stuff more for during the week when the lake isn't as congested, because I know that also pisses off alot of boaters...
    Most hardcore wakeboarders will usually stay away from everybody else. They want to have lots of room all to themselves. Doesnt work if your on a smaller lake though. :crossx:

HCS
    If I want to ski I go where there's no people.
    Other than that it's all for one. There's no rules.........

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast