Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Wakes upsetting people?

Mandelon
    Buena Vista is the size of a bathtub, how can anyone expect clean water there??? Where else are you gonna go expect around in the big oval? You really run a 30' boat there? LOL that's crazy.

BadKachina
    Here a site that really hates Big Wakes click (www.chattanoogaboats.com) . Go to the Inconsiderate Boaters Tab and click it.
    What a bunch of cry babies on that site...........

Beer-30
    Glad to see most all of us are on the same page. I don't want someone running by right next to me while I'm floating, so I don't do it to other people. Even at BV, there is plenty of room to swing wide. I always raise a hand to people that are stopped, regardless if they have a person or rope in the water or not.
    We're all going to have wakes hit us from time to time and I think most all of us know there's nothing to do about it. I don't mind them, because like previously mentioned - nobody is doing it on purpose.
    Nice responses. Thanks for the backup.

TollyWally
    I have a little different situation up here in Puget Sound. We're in the salt and sometimes can go for miles without having to turn. We don't get the round and round lake wake problems. The downside to the Sound is that you get a lot less glass. Another boat can muck up "your water".
    When I was a kid, wakes were a much bigger problem waterskiing. Now the average waterskier is an old fart 45 or 50 years old. All the kids and almost all the boats are set up to wakeboard. So now if you're waterskiing and some kid is pulling a wakeboard and ruining the clean water, no real big deal. The kids are moving so slow you're past them in just a cut or two and back into the clean. They don't care about clean water so all is good. One of the few things that has gotten better.LOL

My Man's Sportin' Wood
    I just dont understand why people have to drive by at 20mph, bow straight in the air 25' off my anchor line. WTF!?
    I have no problem with all the big boats and ski boats or what ever else is out on the lake if people just had some consideration. Most of the time the big boats are cruising right along and hardly throw a wake at all.
    That's the problem I have with them as well. I understand they want to swing into a cove, but do they have to go so damm close to the other boats? One time we had about 3-4 boats tied together in a small but deep cove at Mohave and some guys wakeboarding kept coming in and doing circles around us. The wake ripped the tie off cleats right out of our deck. It's a big lake, and we were almost to the basin, was it really necessary to swing into THAT particular cove repeatedly? There are inconsiderate people in every crowd though, that includes ***boaters.

Boatcop
    If the Dream catcher, Dixie Bell or any other tour boats are throwing up wakes in "No Wake" areas or otherwise endangering other boats you can file a complaint with the Coast Guard at:
    USCG Sector San Diego
    Attn: Inspections Division
    2710 N. Harbor Drive
    San Diego, CA 92101
    Ph: 619-278-7241
    Fax: 619-278-7235
    (Business hours only)
    Those boats are CG inspected and required to have Licensed Captains. Make sure you note the exact time, place and circumstances.

Not So Fast
    Thanks but in my case they were in open water so to speak. But the size of the wakes, especially the tour boats thru the river. I truly think they could swamp a freeboard challenged boat, hell maybe more. NSF

Boa1277
    Thanks but in my case they were in open water so to speak. But the size of the wakes, especially the tour boats thru the river. I truly think they could swamp a freeboard challenged boat, hell maybe more. NSF
    If you are a licensed captain you are responsible for your wake, in fact if you are driving a vessel it does not matter what size you are responsible for your wake. People do not understand this. If you pass by a boat with some old lady standing up in her pontoon and your wake causes this old bitty to fall, guess what you are going to get sued if they can prove it was you and your wake that caused it.(video cameras work) If you are a holding a license the coast guard can and probably will suspend your license up to a year. I will tell you this it is part of Rules of The Road, if you are driving a boat, you are responsible for your wake!

GHT
    I think you should trim down and run around 30 knots...... That should give them a wake to bitch about.. :crossx:

THOR
    If the Dream catcher, Dixie Bell or any other tour boats are throwing up wakes in "No Wake" areas or otherwise endangering other boats you can file a complaint with the Coast Guard at:
    USCG Sector San Diego
    Attn: Inspections Division
    2710 N. Harbor Drive
    San Diego, CA 92101
    Ph: 619-278-7241
    Fax: 619-278-7235
    (Business hours only)
    Those boats are CG inspected and required to have Licensed Captains. Make sure you note the exact time, place and circumstances.
    Thanks Alan. I will take a pic next time and send it in. The Dream Catcher does that shit all the time.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast