Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: V-Drive Tom or anyone else who can Help???

Dans66Stevens
    Tom as we talked last night I removed my old Log. I checked it to the new one I had in stock. I only have to re drill two holes.
    My problem Is I put in the new log and it looks great. I have no clue why the old one was worn through by the prop shaft. It looks to have a = space all the way around.
    Im wondering now if it is moving when I put the Hammerdown. I am completly stumped....Help.

superdave013
    Just a thought here. Maybe your v-drive plate is flexing or moving around?

Dans66Stevens
    Thats what Im thinking. How the hell can I tell. I hate to ruin another lob...Besides I don't have anymore.....

Dans66Stevens
    Tom is there a # I can call you on so Im not useing your nickel? I hate to have you call me again. e-mail it if you want. Thanks Dan

Earth to Dan!!!!!!!!
    Close your eyes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Click your heels together,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    click your mouse and scroll to the top of the page,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Open your eyes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    dial the number that you see to Menkens V-drives..........

Kurtis500
    My friend has the same problem. I sold him an old Spico flat without the drivetrain. He picked up the v-drive and all the other stuff a month later. Having no clue, I kept telling him to bring it over and we would rig it the right way. He decided instead to slap it all together and surprise me with it at the lake.. I couldnt see the v-drive/coupler/prop shaft when I first saw it. Anyways, first trip out its running pretty good but at the end of the day 'SNAP' the output shaft on the v-drive breaks. I let him deal with it. Month later, same lake, day or two into the trip 'SNAP' prop shaft breaks off in the coupler. 2 weeks later, same lake, he backs the boat in the water and water is pouring in from the log. He pulls it out, parks it, and wont ask for help. I go over and look it over with a fine tooth comb. He originally mounted the v-drive in a such an angle from the strut that you could SEE the bend in the propshaft going into the coupler. This snapped both shafts and rubbed out the lip of the log. Said it wasnt installed with a bend until after he replaced the v-drive shaft.???... I'll see him again this weekend, interesting to see whats next. Anyways, yours could be due to an alignment problem, hopefully not as bad as this guys.

schiada96
    Dan if you have a c-500 you might need to brace it my friend had one before he put a split case in his. He has a lot of hp and the c-500 wanted to rotate. I made some braces and it fixed the problem.

Dans66Stevens
    Well I have a old Top Loader Casale. I think my super duper motor may be makeing things move around. Im going to tighten up all the bolts and maybe try to rip it tomorrow.

boatguy222
    Dan,
    do you have a whip strut on the boat? could the propshaft be whipping under big hp? what kind of material so your prop shaft?

Dans66Stevens
    I do not have a whip strut. The H.P is around 400-450. I think Im going to put it together and see what happens. I will tighten up the mounts for the Casale.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast