Thread: 460 Woe's repost

Crossbow_CA
    I was advised to repost this thread here in hopes of finding a SoCal person that might guide me thru the "finish" and break-in of my 460. I am not sure if I did something wrong or my timing cover is bad/stripped bolt threads, cause it is leaking water. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll supply the beer's/cocktails if someone wants to stop by and help a guy get 1 step closer to the River.

BrendellaJet
    Pull it off. Clean it, reinstall and try again.

Moneypitt
    Pull it off. Clean it, reinstall and try again.
    Use a block and some 220 grit paper to see where the highs and lows are, as well as check for cracked out bolt bosses. Those aluminum parts are hard pressed to live in an antifreeze type inviroment, look closely for corrosion along the mating surfaces. Also suspect the bolts. Bolts do wear out, become stretched into oblivion. Invest in some new grd 5 or better steel bolts.....And mind the torque limits per bolt size and grade.........MP

I would agree with both the above posts. Definitely inspect the timing cover (not actually the cover but the factory aluminum piece behind the cover). I had to replace mine due to part of it erroding away over the years. They cost about $70 and can be found at Ford Part Centers, or in my case I got it from Make Model and Year (a local parts house).

centerhill condor
    "lakes only" is your guy!

Your water lines are reversed. Water should go thru the exhaust manifolds first to preheat and then to the engine. As to the cover leaking, pull it off and check for flatness and corrosion. If its flat and not corroded reinstall using a sealant on both sides of the gasket and torque evenly.

67weimann
    Your water lines are reversed. Water should go thru the exhaust manifolds first to preheat and then to the engine. As to the cover leaking, pull it off and check for flatness and corrosion. If its flat and not corroded reinstall using a sealant on both sides of the gasket and torque evenly.
    I second that :crossx:

Crossbow_CA
    OK, thanks for the tips. I will pull it off, clean it up amd try again.

Moneypitt
    Water lines can and have been ran either way. Super cold water use boats usually pre heat, warmer water it is not necessary. Kinda depends on how warm you want to run the motor. Remember you don't hurt them cool, or fat, but hot and lean will murder them. Engine temp is, IMO, over rated. Not saying you can't extract a couple more HP running warmer, just for most recreational boats it isn't that important. Gordy told me he likes his motors under 160, or even cooler.......Just my .02....................MP

Sanger Jet
    Unless it's over 100 out I have trouble getting running temps over 180........I just make sure the engine idles in the water for a few minutes before jumping the peddle.