Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AC vs. Swamp Cooler

rsr
    Thinking of cooling the garage at the river to make it more comfortable during clean-up and maintenance. Wondering which is better - AC or Swam cooler? Obviously there will be a difference in price, but that's not the concern. Main concern is the moisture put into the air by the swam cooler and what negative effects, if any, it may have on the boat. What has been everyone else's experiences? Thanks in advance for any and all help. (FWIW garage is only 20'x30').

JetBoatRich
    nice dry area like the river is perfect for the swamp cooler

rsr
    JetBoatRich - Any drawbacks that you know of to the moisture introduced into the air with the boat and or cabinets/etc?

Tom Brown
    The moisture should all be vented to the outside, not the inside.
    At least, on any of the ones I've seen but then we don't see a lot of them in Canada.

JetBoatRich
    JetBoatRich - Any drawbacks that you know of to the moisture introduced into the air with the boat and or cabinets/etc?
    I installed a swamp cooler in my house and have had no problems in two years I think if you buy a decent unit, you should have no problems.
    I have Central air, but wanted to cut back on the $500 power bill.

rivergoer
    we have or had a swamp cooler in our house at parker thing is freaking bad ass..

rsr
    Thanks for the info so far. What size unit would you think would work for 20'x30' garage?

don johnson
    I am air conditioning my new garage. Reason I went air was that during monsoon season a swamp cooler is completely ineffective. Air cond can also bring down the temperature MUCH faster then a swamp cooler.

chub
    I am air conditioning my new garage. Reason I went air was that during monsoon season a swamp cooler is completely ineffective. Air cond can also bring down the temperature MUCH faster then a swamp cooler.
    Totally agree re: monsoon season. We have both in our pad in Topock . When we go up we use the swamp for about an hour and that with a little ventilation pulls down the place much quicker than just the A/C. If it's just in the 90's we usually just run the swamp and it's sufficient and efficient. :rollside: :rollside:

Relaxalot
    We use our house at the river about once a month during the year. About 3/4 of the time we need the a/c in the garage. This is only about 8 times per year so the financial impact is not that great. I am glad I put in regular ac vs. a swamp but if I was full time I would want both so I could choose and save some $$$. It also helps cool down the house faster. Make sure your garage door is insulated.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast