Thread: Water in the oil again

VD CRUISER
    This is the first time I've run aluminum heads on my v-drive Howard cruiser. The engine is a 540 ci Chevy with 10:71 Mooneyham,2 1050's, superchiller, and Canfield alum. heads. The water goes from the water pump directly into the block and exits thru the intake manifold into the headers. I've used Lightning headers and Bassett water injected headers with the same results. Ive also run it with the oil cooler hooked up and without it hooked up. the motor runs very cool at about 130 deg water temp and the oil at about 175 deg, (190 after a hard run). After about an hour the oil in the pan is milky and there are waterdroplets under the valve covers. I drained the oil out and filled 1 side of the block at a time and pressurized it to 45psi for at least 2 hrs. No water could be seen coming from anywhere,spark plug holes, oildrain hole or head studs. I also removed the water pump and pressurized it and no water leaked. Could condensation form that quickly? Please help!

HAVASANGER
    I had a water in the oil problem, got carried away with the garden hose, running it on the trailer, so I drained the oil, but next time I ran it, I had more water. Turned out my oil pan wasn"t draining to the bottom using the drain plug, and a puddle of water stayed in the pan. So I used a pump and sucked it out through the dipstick tube, and got all the water out, no more problem.

Snowboat
    Did you have the oil cooler completely out of the circuit for a fairly long time? Do you know what your block pressure is? One time I had a head bolt hole that wasn't chamfered and pulled a thread up enough to not seal. Is your intake mating surface parallel to the head, maybe requiring a thicher intake gasket?

blownschiada
    What kind of block are you running?My friend had a problem with water in the oil in his motor,he was useing a merlin block and found when the fuel pump rod bore was drilled it went in to far and hit the water jacket.I am running a 540 also with aluminum heads and found that they do cause condensation alot faster than my old motor that had iron heads.

VD CRUISER
    Thanks guys, I'm pretty sure I've found the problem. I took the Super Chiller off and put water pressure on it and water leaked into the intake area. It was going past the o'ring thats between the end cap and the core. Took it apart and the o'ring was pinched. reassembled it and no leaks. Can't understand why the spark plugs didn't look a little strange though. Since I scoop the water for the Chiller, it wasn't getting any pressure until I went faster. Haven't had it in the water for a test yet. Willl try it this weekend if the weather allows.