Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nostalgia Flatbottom and Racers Reunion

72 superlite
    Got back last night, we left after the first heats of the flats. Didn't have the turn out they were hoping for as far as the boats listed in the preview, but still a good weekend for the v-drive flat fan. I think there were about 15 flats racing, and another 10 or so there also. If anybody remembers seeing the red and white Sanger bouncing all over the place from the videos of last year, it does have a new paint job, but was still all over the place, and then upside down. Coming into the final turn( of a triangular shaped course ) he was on the inside and the boat skipped sideways and dug in, pitching him out and rolling over. The driver seemed fine, but he wouldn't have been if he stuck around and watched them try to get the boat up. It must have took them 40 minutes or so to get it up, and it was floating nose up like a flat will do, not totally submerged. They finally pull it up with two boats hooked to it and the two boats turn opposite ways!!! NICE. They cut one loose and the other drags the flat, still 2/3 under water, right along the rocky shore, causing more damage than the flip did. I seem to remember this taking a lot less time, with a lot less people and lot less damage. Hook it up, put a diver on the bow to help it break over, as the boat comes over the diver slides to the back and pulls the plugs, and by the time the boat is back to the ramp enough water is out for the boat to float close to normal. Put the plugs back in and put it on the tralier. Instead, sink it at the ramp again and drag it up the ramp with a rope, until it is shallow enough for a crowd of people to lift it onto the trlr. Then they get it out and one of the v-drive veterans trys to tell them how to do it next time and they don't want to listen to him, they just make excuses. So the VIP guest goes off just shaking his head. I did take a lot of pictures, that I will post when I get them developed. Oh yeah I guess another flatbottom driver got pitched out on Friday when he was out testing, he was ok and raced on Sunday. Maybe he will tell you about it sometime. Met him in person after talking on the forums, nice guy and a nice boat. Sorry if i rambled about the recovery effort, but man, was that frustrating to watch. Also met and talked to for about 2 hours, Harlin Orrin, a tooler who has been at it a long time and worked with many of the legendary builders. A very nice guy and very infomative about the v-drive boats. He is featured in the new ***boat mag. He knows alot of the history and is responible for a fair bit of it.

boatguy222
    superlite,
    I didnt see you on Sunday, You caught me at a bad time on Saturday, I was hoping you would come back around, so we could talk.
    Bring your boat next year!!!!!!
    As for going swiming on Friday, I was testing my New lifejacket, Hey, It works great!!
    If you got any pictures of my boat on the course, I would like to see them, email me.
    Also, I would like to thank Boyd And Robin, great job!!! this thing would have never happened without them, It was a great time, and my dad and I are already plannig on attending next year.

FlatRacer
    Hey guys,
    How was the weekend? How did the races go? I'm dying to know how the 80 mph limit worked out. How was it recieved by the racers themselves?
    Curious as hell,
    Eric

CircleJerk
    Glad to see someone was watching our first Reunion Race in this Forum. I thought after I had checked the plugs for detonation I would write to inform you all of the sunny event! Superlite, You were a little hard on the Frequent Flyer 19foot!!! Heavy 6 passenger Sanger PS69 werent you? Granted, he flew the boat a little on Saturday but if you had viewed the video like we just did you would have seen the boat really haul the bacon without the hops on Sunday! The Guy is just learning and had moved the engine for this event but with little set up time [rained for the last 2 weeks], was still adjusting things when the first qualifying was run on Sunday. By the way, he had just passed the second fastest racer and the former world Champion in the last straight befor the flip. Where was your boat? I must add that the triangle course was not the preferred course for our 16 boat field and that particular corner was Nasty to say the least. I'm sure you hadnt intended to slam the kid as an armchair quarter-back but that is what it sounded like. We basically had three one pin corners!!! Even George Nordling said it took two to three heats to get used to it and then the rollers would come off the highway burm like tital waves and upset everyone. Give the guy some slack. I will agree that rescue attempts on the boat failed but the driver was treated very well. Mike is here to let you know that the only damage was to the rudder when the tow boat hit some rocks and he lost the hilborn carb scoop and a breather! The paint isnt scratched and the 427 roared to life tonight! Most important he was only a little sore for three days!! Next time you come to spectate come over to our pits cause all of us are new to this and could use some help! WE Do think the racing was some of the best the Northwest has seen in decades. That's one flatbottoms opinion! Jerk

Riptide01
    WHOA,
    Circle jerk.
    Superlite would have had the boat there. But his lazy brother is still trying to finish the prep work and get some paint thrown on it. He wasnt slamming anyone. But was offering his views of the rescue attempt.
    Yes there are things to learn.
    Dont get so defensive , if you expect to get this thing to grow. Superlites boat does have a problem turning left. As it was designed for the drag race wars.
    We are glad that every one is o.k. and the boat can be repaired. And dont worry we will bring a boat to race next year, No arm-chair quarter backing in this family.

CircleJerk
    Thanks Rip Tide. Point well taken, but remember we Run What Ya Brung and most of us run old drag boats with left hand props. So you will fit right in and I'm sure we'll love to see SuperLites hull in or out of primer. If you need anything, let us know. By the way the July 20-1 race is moved to Scootney near Othello and a new race site at Entiat Wa takes the Aug 3-4 date. Come join the rollercoaster ride of Nostalgia!! This is going nation-wide. Isnt that great!!!!! Jerk

Riptide01
    Cool, Nostalgia is where its at.

72 superlite
    Thanks Bro, I wasn't attacking anyone, or arm chair quarterbacking. I know it takes big cha chas to drive a boat at those speeds around those tight corners, I'm very glad to hear the driver is fine and the damage minimal. I saw the videos of last year and I thought I described that boat pretty well. Boat Guy 222, you were a little busy when I stopped by, so I didn't want to get in the way, and we had to leave after the first round of flatbottom heats on Sunday. I did get some video of you running, but I don't know if I got any pics of your boat on the lake. I would be happy to send you a copy of the video.
    Rick

boatguy222
    Superlite,
    That would be great! Let me know what you have into it, and I'll send you a check.
    Thanks,
    Marc

72 superlite
    Boatguy222, its just 20 minutes or so of amatuer video i shot. Send me your address and I'll shoot you a copy, on the house. Don't worry 058 yours is coming!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast